Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading ME to 2000 - Nightmare..

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonnyjim

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2001
EU
Hi all,

Need to upgrade from WinME to Win2K - HAVE to go through the upgrade option , and not a reinstall.

Get the following error when trying to Upgrade from the ME Desktop.

" Unable to Install/Upgrade - the file: C:\Windows\UPGDlls\W95upg.dll\win9xupg\w95upg.dll could not be found/is missing " [thumbsdown]

I've heard of Upgrade Packs for this - can anybody tell me where they are as I've scoured Microsith and can't find them.

HELP!!
Thanks

"What happens if I press *that* button?"

You can't upgrade from ME to 2k (ME came out after 2k).

This I know already...

But it amuses me because I've done it about 6/7 times before. As long as you have the correct system drivers things tend to go well.

Also , I've just got this installation working - the file that was missing is located on the Win2k CD.

"What happens if I press *that* button?"

By the way - why do you have to upgrade, rather than clean install - upgrade is known to be more likely to cause problems going forward? (and if you can start upgrade from withing ME, presumably you can also select the clean install option?)

According to Microsoft you can not upgrade Windows Me to Windows 2000. I believe you can upgrade to Windows XP which might be a better choice.

Bobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back