Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading ( installing ) McAfee 4.5.1 to 7.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

igortr1

Technical User
Jan 13, 2004
US
We are going to upgarde/install McAfee from 4.5.1 to 7.1 on our servers. I am having a problem to run an upgrade, or I should uninstall 4.5.1 first?

The new version will detect your old 4.5.1 installation and ask you if you want to uninstall it. It has worked very nicely and smoothly on my site.

We are still testing the upgrade from 4.5.1 to 7.1, but we still get problems.
When we will execute an upgrade all the microsoft applications wil be ruined. We must go to configurations, software en reinstall the software. Does anyone know what's going on. We are having contact with NAI, but this will give no answers for now

Hiya!

I've had some poblem while upgrading VS 4 to VS 7.0 ( although is not oficially supported, I used GPOs to perform this)

Basically I created a script to remove VS 4 and to install VS 7.

Thus you should remove it release 4, before installing 7.

Please note that this does not work for VirusScan 7.1 or grater (I would't create a MSI by myself)

Although EPO is best solution, unfortunately is expensive for what it offer to small/medium companies.

It suits big companies which needs advanced EPO features.

Hope this help

I am attempting to do the same upgrade. I created a custom MSI using the MID utility. I then created a ZEN 3.2 application using the MSI.

When I tell ZEN to put an icon on the desktop, then double-click on it everything works flawlessly. The 4.5 version is replaced, all the options I selected are set, and the latest definitions are loaded.

Two problems:
1) If I tell ZEN to do Force Run, the install crashes with a message about “mcshield.exe has generated errors”.

2) When the ZEN application runs, the install time is 15 – 30 minutes.

If I can’t get the time down, I will have to look at running SETUP.EXE with a bunch of command line options.

We have started upgrading some of our NT4 servers from Netshield 4.5.0 to VirusScan Enterprise 7.1.0 - the upgrade itself has worked fine each time.

However, I have noticed that even though the On Access setting "disconnect remote users and deny access to network share" is ticked, it no longer seems to work.

This has proved to be very handy in the past. Has anyone else seen this?

uninstall 4.5.1 3 different ver. create a bat file

msiexec.exe /x {63CB7620-B423-4BF1-A7E4-75BB8B64740E} /q
msiexec.exe /x {87AEFD84-BC0D-11D4-B885-00508B022A51} /q
MsiExec.exe /x {0E75B926-029C-11D5-B8CA-00508B022A51} /q

Doh!!

I'm currently looking to upgrade our users from 4.5 to 7.1 and from 7.0 to 7.1 using Zenworks 4 and the application launcher. My problem is where is the .MSI for 7.1? I downloaded the package using my grant number but do not see the .MSI for which I create the transform file for. Do I need to create this MSI? If so, what do I use?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back