Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading HD on mirrored RAID setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2switch

Technical User
Jan 18, 2006
US
I have a server running with win 2k server and have 4 34gig seagate scsi drives installed. They are mirrored so that one set just backs the other set up. I ran out of space and purchased 2 new seagate 180gig drives and wanted to copy the data and then run them mirrored. When I disconnected the 2 smaller drives and plugged in the new one, it was not recognized and in disk management it just said that the mirrored drives were missing. How do go about transferring the data to the new drive to begin the upgrade?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
cheers

Some more detail woud be helpful Is this a hardware raid or software raid? Are you running raid 10? what type of controller are you using?

The controller card is am Adaptec scsi 29160 (which is ultra160). I am assuming that it is a hardware RAID becuase there were no programs running that would indicate a software RAID.

something just does not pass the sniff test. If you have hardware raid and are running a raid 10, which would be what you said, one array is mirrored to another array, which means if you have 4x34 gb drives you should have roughly 68gb storage avail.

If this was a hardware raid when you go in disk managment you should see only 1 logical drive. If you are seeing all 4 drives then you have software raid. There is not any programs needed since the OS does the raid. Also a standard adaptec scsi U160 29160 is not capable of doing hardware raid.

This sounds very much like a software raid. You could try removing one set of mirrored drives, put in your new drives making sure your jumpers are set correct and you should see the new drives in disk management, set them up to be used and copy your data to them.

If you have enough connectors on the cable you could also add the new drives keeping the others and use the new drives for storage.

ibmtech, i appreciate the help.

You are correct in that I have 68 gigs available and the other drives are essentially backup. I already tried what you suggested, removing 2 and plugging in the large disk, but it wasn't recognized in disk management. So I couldn't drag and drop the data.

I am sure you are correct about the software raid, I was unaware that the OS did it and was looking for another program. There is a second port for a scsi cable on the controller card, and I was going to purchase a separate cable and plug the drive into that (as opposed to a connector on the existing cable). My thought was that if I don't remove anything it will have to recognize the new hardware.

There are 4 connectors on the existing cable (all used) once I can figure out how to load the big drives I was hoping to keep 2 of the smaller ones. The problem at hand i guess is recognizing the new ones.

The 29160 is not a HW RAID Card. It is a basic HBA. There is a -R version of the 29160 which supports software RAID called Adaptec HostRAID. Your configuration is very unclear. Are you using HostRAID alone or OS mirroring alone or a combination of the two?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back