Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading from Windows NT 4.0 Workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdbsql

Technical User
Nov 22, 2004
US
I know the easiest route would be a clean install, but I wanted to find out if there are other options. I have a development machine that has a lot of software on it and I am trying to avoid reinstalling everything. Is it possible to do an inplace upgrade?

Upgrading from nt4 to xp pro is possible, check you have ample ram,cpu etc...

I know that it is possible. Perhaps my question wasn't clear. I just wanted to find out if I would need to reinstall everything(meaning applications) or can I do an in place upgrade preserving all of the settings from applications currently installed.

it should be able to retain the programs and settings, assuming the current programs are XP-compatible. You may want to visit the XP page, they have a compatibility checker there I think. If they are newer apps, almost guaranteed to transfer without problems.

it will also be a good idea to clean up the system as much as possible prior to the upgrade (delete temp files, internet files, old installer files, basically any unused data, remove any un-needed programs) then do a chkdsk to verify there are no file system errors, do a quick check for adware/spyware, then defrag. It gives the upgrade a better chance of running smoothly if the system is "clean" prior to the upgrade.

lastly, i know you dont want to do a fresh install, but it really is a better idea to do that instead of upgrade. just IMO.

Thanks for the tips. I totally agree regarding the fresh install. I am going to try what you suggested. If I run into problems my second option is to do the fresh install.

My hope is to have the least amount of downtime. Thanks.

Thanks for the tips. If this doesn't work I will do the fresh install.

no problem. if the upgrade does have problems, maybe report back what they were so we can help others in the future.

and i forgot to mention, make sure you have PLENTY of free space on the C: drive prior to the upgrade (at least 700+ MB free, over 1GB better).

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back