Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading from v724 to v754 or v8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdf73

MIS
Nov 10, 2003
GB
Hello,

We are about to go through the process of upgrading MSTR from v724. I suspect that it will be "safer" (i.e. less new bugs being introduced) to upgrade to v754, rather than v8. Ideally v8 would be the preferable, but a lot more riskier.

Has anyone upgraded directly from v7.2 to v8? Has anyone upgraded to v8 at all???

Has anyone exprienced any loss of functionality upgrading to v7.5 or v8 (referring here of course to that wonderful moment when 'olap services' was free in v7.2.0 and then you had to pay an additional license fee in v7.2.1)??? I believe in v8 Documents have been replaced by Report Services. Does the same also apply for v7.5?

Thanks, Scott

Scott,

We are upgrading this week from v7.5.1 to v 8.0 HF 2 ( which was just released this past Friday). I have been running v8.0 HF 1 for several weeks in development. There are bugs of course as with any major release. Most critical ones have been addressed in the hot fixes. Report Services Documents was actually first out in 7.5.1. There are many differences in RS Documents using version 8, mainly that HTML is now used rather than PDF. Big performance gain, some formatting challenges with HTML from documents that were built in 7.5.1 using PDF. Vector graphs a big improvmement for file size. Not sure about upgrading from 7.2.x directly to 8.0; have not done that. Lots of new features in 8, all in all, things working pretty well.

HTH,
p.p.

petperson,

Just wondering how your upgrade to v8 went....

Also you mentioned there were lots of new features in v8. I've been to a couple of presentations on v8, but there didn't seem to me that there wasn't a great leap in functionality (Report Services aside). I could be wrong and have easily missed something. Reprompt on desktop, undo function, enhancements to thresholds will all be useful, but not enough to say, we must upgrade to v8 ASAP!!!

Thanks, Scott.

Freeform SQL - architect can create logical views in the schema, so no more pleading with DBA's for database changes; and you can map freeform sql to attributes, metrics and reports.
Closer integration with data mining models (importing using PMML) looks interesting.

Readme is TN5800-800-0569, open up 8ReadAll_1.htm for the "What's New..." information.

All in all, our upgrade went well. There are always a few issues to deal with. I think the one that has caused the most pain is the fact that 8.0 web no longer supports IE 5.5. We didn't realize that we had field users still on IE 5.5. Screens are distorted and reports with prompts are very difficult to navigate around. There are still a few open cases I logged due to the upgrade, nothing too high of a priority now. Vector graphs in Report Services was a big one for us, we push alot of RS documents through Narrowcast but graphs made the files way too big. There is a huge difference in size now in v8.0. Have not been able to play much with FreeForm SQL yet. Hope to soon. We will also be able to try the PMML feature soon too.

p.p.

I installed 8 onto a test box with our license key which didn't include Office.

We were getting an out of compliance message when accessing Adminstration thro' desktop or using command manager.

Took some digging around, but the administrator user was taking up an Office license, which was inheritted from the Power User security role where Office was ticked.

So, check the License Manager to make sure no rogue priveleges have been checked, because after a certain amount of time access to the I-Server gets reduced to nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back