Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading from FoxPro 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

MstOpt

Programmer
Oct 22, 2007
US
I am an Optician working for a small 5 store chain. I am not a developer, but I have set up a small number of tables and have set up relational fields between the tables. The tables were originally created in LotusWorks 1.0 and our data entry person still uses LW for data entry. I have not tried to create an application under FoxPro 2.0 but I have written a number of programs to extract reports and special mailing lists from the tables. Some of them a close to 100 lines. I have become familiar with the programming language and because we bought the program from Fox Software the manuals that came with the program have been a constant resource.

We have managed to migrate the programs and tables through several upgrades of computers. I did buy the first edition of Visual Foxpro and it made the report screen look much better than the dos version but the installation disks (3.5 floppies) have become corrupted and cannot be installed on later machines.

I have been having more and more problems with the newer machines, the latest being an Athlon 64/2 running XP. I have obtained TameDos and that has helped but I have decided that I am going to have to upgrade to a new version of Visual FoxPro. I am comfortable with the sequential programming language of foxpro 2.0 but I am somewhat intimidated with object oriented programming languages and I would like to be able to tun my current programs on the new version. I am intelligent but have taken few college level computer courses.

What are the chances of success and what steps should I take to make it work?

MstOpt

What are the chances of success?
About 99.9% change of success
What steps should I take to make it work?
Install VFP and use it like 2.0

Your reports will have to be recreated in VFP but the design screen is very familiar to 2.0 report design screen.

Your 2.0 screens will run in VFP, they will just look a little different.

Your database will have to be converted from 2.0 to VFP but that is easy.

open each table exclusive, VFP will ask you to set a code page, conversion complete.

All your 2.0 programs will run in VFP after the above is done.

David W. Grewe Dave

Thanks Dave. The adventure begins

MstOpt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back