Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading from AMD single core to dual core

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arachkid

Technical User
Dec 18, 2001
US
I have a good running homebuilt AMD system using an ASUS AN8-SLI Deluxe mobo and a Socket 939 AMD 3500 cpu. The BIOS is v10.16 which supports dual core. Other than physically changing the cpu and heatsink, do I only have to clear the CMOS before installing an AMD 4800 dual core cpu? The operating system is WXP Pro,with all updates.

The only problem I see, is that WinXP does not recognize the second core, after it has been installed... due to the HAL that was installed in the first place...

in that case you might have to do an Inplace Install (aka REPAIR), read more here:

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Unfortunately, this upgrade has so far been a failure. I read other web chatter about this type of upgrade and apparently most people just plugged in their new dual core CPU and had no problems. Most never even cleared the CMOS.

I installed the dual core CPU (factory sealed boxed CPU with heatsink and warranty) and was greeted by a blank, non energized monitor screen on boot. The motherboard put out a series of 5 beeps each time I tried to boot. The Asus motherboard guide says that it includes a beep troubleshooting guide, but it appears to have been edited out. Does anyone have this info?

Thinking that maybe I had made an installation error, I then reinstalled the old single core CPU and it worked like a charm. I then reinstalled the dual core CPU and was greeted by the same screen/beep experience. I then re-reinstalled the old single core CPU and it's currently running flawlessly. I'm out of thermal paste, so I'll have to wait until Monday to try to re-reinstall the dual core CPU. Hopefully, someone will have some input on this problem by then.

I am not jumping to the conclusion that the dual core CPU is defective,- just yet. I would suspect my so far trouble free power supply, except that it's a new Antec Neo 480 watt and has never shown a hint of instability with the old single core CPU. It has fairly low demands on it, just a single video card, an anemic MSI 6600GT PCI-E, and two 250 Maxtor hard drives striped in RAID 0.

So far my plans are to go to my local PC Club store on Monday to buy more thermal paste. I once overheard a tech there say that they could test CPUs, so I'll take the dual core and it's heatsink with me and see what they can do. If they can test the CPU, and it's good, then it's back to the drawing board. I also have a NIB Enermax 600 watt power supply that I could swap in.

I think that from all my CPU switching, I have pretty much eliminated the motherboard as a culprit.

You appear to have done everything right and so this is a strange one.

Bios 1010 or later: which yours is!

Antec Neo 480 should be more than enough if the unit is working correctly.

Clear cmos: well I don't see why you should need to do that.

All the additional power plugs fitted on the motherboard?
I'm not sure what they are but certainly at least the extra P4 connector (could be more)

The thing that is bothering me is the blank screen, not even a bios start up display and although very unlikely for a retail CPU, it is looking like this is the most likely candidate.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

5 Beeps (AMI BIOS) indicates a faulty CPU or non compatible CPU... is it possible to have it checked at a local shop? Double check if this CPU is compatible with your MoBo...
sources:

CHECK: the CPU if it is REV E6 or later...

more info on the BEEPS and BIOS would be helpful, ie. short beeps, short and long beeps, pauses, etc...

about the CLEARING of the CMOS: since CMOS holds information as to how to setup the hardware before POST, i.e. setting registers at what power the CPU is to be run on, etc.... so clearing it can be helpful at times, and when I place a new CPU onto a Mobo I definitely clear the CMOS, as I had boards that would not post after hardware changes...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Try only one stick of ram.
Is your ram dual channel?
Is the ram compatiple with the new speed?
I have to agree with the above posts.
I recommend bringing the computer to the shop.

Things are defective right out of the box, look at all those ATI cards and Sony batteries. Although this might be on a more limited scale, I would not waste too much time as CPUs usually have the shortest return-for-replacement warranty, sometimes as short as 7 days at many stores in the USA. From Newegg.com:

Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

* Return for refund within: 7 days
* Return for replacement within: 30 days

From Directron.com:

No refund or credit after 7 days

So, I would waste as little time as possible troubleshooting; go get your new CPU. I'd be amazed if it were anything OTHER than the CPU. Not even getting to the BIOS and hearing the 5 beeps are all I need.

Tony

"If it can't take it, I don't want it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back