Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading from Act 2007 to Act 2009 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

beermenow

Vendor
Feb 28, 2008
US
I have recently purchased a license for 2009 and I wanted to ask a question about the grouping option. When I upgrade the database is there a way to group all of the contacts within a certain company together? Hope that makes sense

Mike two questions

1. I guess I am looking for a way to basically go to a contact click a button and have it add all of the other contacts with that same company name to a group. Is that possible?

2. With emailing I used about 10 draft emails for the most part of my work. Normally I copy the contacts email address then go to outlook paste it into a draft and send it. Is there a more efficient way to do it?

Thank as always,
Bob

Sorry just wanted to add one last thing.. I have two large databases one with 110k and one with 40k and I would love to be able to manage these from a company level a bit more than the contact level. It will help me get through the DB's quicker and more efficiently.

1. While you can use Groups, I think you'll find Companies a better choice. See:

2. You should add the ACT! database as an address book in Outlook. The steps to do this vary according to the version of Outlook

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust
Join the LinkedIN ACT! Fanatics Group

Companies is the better choice for sure.. But it looks like I still have to manually add additional contacts to them is that right?

Hi Mike, just joined this forum and the "create a rule" is a valuable tip - 2 questions...
1. Although it shows the contacts as linked in the companies screen, it doesn't show the company as linked in the contacts screen view - have to still do this manually?
2. Do you know of any add-ons/solutions that would allow you to import new data into the db with the contacts and companies already linked (either from a spreadsheet or other database)

cheers
barry

1. both in the Contacts Details view and in the Contacts list view.

2. Tks - am looking to check the demo out but reads well

Running ACT Premium 2008 (10.0)
cheers
barry

Aye Mike have seen that...from my users point of view though, they mainly work from the contacts screen views and will think they are unlinked - will let them know but it would have been perfect if the hyperlink was also in the contact views.
cheers
barry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back