Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading from Access to Oracle 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2007
US
I have an Access database that currently reaches its 2 GB capacity about every year, so upgrading the database is imminent.

I work for a small company, have no Oracle experience, but am familiar with Access and general database concepts. Hiring any sort of consultant is out of the question, and even some training for me might be stretching it. I am going to try to sign up for a "Oracle Database 10g: Administration Workshop I Release 2 (Database)" class, but for now I plan on getting the free (Express) edition, and mimicking the existing access database. I am not looking forward to rewriting all of my crystal reports, however I want to be sure that I will only have to do that once.

If I get the express edition and decide to later upgrade Standard One edition, will I have any issues with my reports? Also, what if I upgrade hardware or move the PC that the Oracle db is on?

Traditionally, I just add the whole table within Crystal, but I assume it would be wise to use a command? This is more a question for the Crystal forum, but any advice or comments from anyone that’s done this would be greatly appreciated.

-Brian

Brian -

Oracle XE is compatible with other Oracle 10 databases. We regularly move data between XE and Std Edition using import and export (and the new data pump import and export too).

XE will install on hardware that exceeds its limits - it simply won't utilise 2nd processors, or more than 1Gb of memory or (IIRC) more than 5Gb of tablespace.

I don't use Crystal but I guess they connect with ODBC or JDBC. The same drivers will connect fine to either XE or Std Edition.

Steve

Thanks Steve!

I read the data sheet on Oracle's website, so I know the basics, but for now I will be putting the database on an old PC we have laying around. Would there be an issue if I were to later move the database onto another PC or a server?

GoStillers,

your original post says that you intend 'mimicking' the Access database. Is there a business requirement for this? If there isn't, may I recommend Oracle Migration WorkBench (OMWB)which has an access import wizard.

You can point it at an access database and in a few minutes it will generate a spot-on Oracle equivalent, with no programming effort by you. Moreover, it will automatically generate everything in accordance with Oracle's naming limitations and conventions, which a manual migration might not.

I don't know if you can run Oracle Application Express on XE (can anyone advise?) but if you can, APEX has an access form wizard, which would also create the forms for you.

Regards

Tharg

Grinding away at things Oracular

The Workbench sounds great. I will be looking into the oracle forums and probably speaking with someone at Oracle regarding our needs.

Most likely we will be getting the Standard Edition One if thats the only way to get the Workbench. I see there is a special on the Application server for $238. Is the extra $89 worth the cost?

GoStillers,

If you down load SQL Developer (free) from here:

Once installed do a check for update under Help option and and it should it should give you the option of installing some migration tools including 1 for Access, it based I beleive on the OMWB (Its an Early Adopter so it might have a few bugs).

It even has a translation scratch editor which will give the equivelent PL/SQL syntax to your Access syntax.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back