Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading from a Micron

Status
Not open for further replies.

darag2358

Technical User
Jul 12, 2000
US
I'm installing a new computer at home. I'm upgrading from a Micron brand with Win 95. I would like to, if possible, not have to go through installing all my applications again, but I know that I just can't put the old hard drive in to the new system (like I did on another computer I built myself) because it won't boot up if it doesn't detect the Micron board. If I uninstall the Micron version of Win 95 and upgrade to a standalone Win 98, will I be able to just swap the drive? Or am I forced to reinstall everything?

Thanks, hope that makes sense.

Many system drivers, such as for the mobo chipset, are installed during the initial installation of Windows. This is why you can't simply swap the hard drive into the new system because the old drivers won't work with the new mobo.

Assuming you can get into Safe Mode, I've heard you can use the Add/New Hardware wizard to reinstall main components such as this one. However, if you can't get the OS to even boot, then you're looking at a flat-out reinstall.

Hope this helps...

just put your old drive in the new system If you are familiar with regedit you will boot into safemode, then go to the run command and type regedit go to
HKEY LOCAL MACHINE look for device and delete the enum key
then reboot and it will find all of your new systems drivers
and hardware because you have just deleted the old ones hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back