Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading from 5.1 to 6.0MP3 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHWS

Technical User
Nov 25, 2003
US
Has anyone experienced any out of the ordinary issues with upgrading 5.1 to 6.0MP3 on their Master/Media servers. We are running HP-UX with ACSLS controlling the tape libraries. Our plan is to copy all of the 5.1 directories to a different area of disk and just perform a clean install of 6.0 and then apply MP3. Then perform the nbpushdata command to copy over the image/media server DB's.

I have heard that there are some issues with the Veritas scheduler but would like to confirm with more than one source that has had issues with this? Any replies would be appreciated. The individual who stated this also said they would recommend waiting until MP4 to perform the upgrade. Personally I don't like the idea of upgrading to a MP that hasn't been out for a few months due to possible new issues. Thanks in advance for any responses! JR

I had searched a doc from google.
And the article detail below here :

NetBackup 6.0 Upgrade

We finished upgrading our Veritas Netbackup 5.x implementation to release 6.0mp1 this week. With the exception of having to do some step-upgrades on a few 5.0mp2 media servers, the rollout was fairly painless. The installation process could be summarized with the following steps:

1. Verify that your platform is supported. Yes...Veritas dropped several legacy systems in this cut.
2. Verify that the current installation is at least at versions 5.0mp4 or 5.1.
3. Stop any NetBackup processes.
4. Fire off the NetBackup6 installation (it will walk you through the upgrade)
5. Restart NetBackup
6. Test a manual backup.

For the Master and Media servers, there is a post-installation utility called nbupushdata that you have to run in order to populate the EMM Database with the existing database files. The ordering of how you execute this step is very important, so I recommend that you refer to the Veritas NetBackup 6.0 Installation Guide for UNIX & Linux before doing something that you'll regret in the morning.

So for upgrading a 5.1 Master server, a mix of about 35-40 clients, and 5 media servers which were grossly out of date, with very few issues, I would say this was a fairly succesful deployment. I think any system administrator would agree that seeing that many systems go current is a good time.

You can read up on some of the changes in NetBackup 6.0 and why should you upgrade here.

Good luck ....:)

We have decided to wait until 2007 and see what new releases are out then. Thanks for you replies!

good for you!
5.1 MP5 is pretty stable

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and that is truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back