Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrading exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003 to exchange 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2006
US
Hey everyone,

I am working at a company now that is running exchange 5.5 with about 45 users. Its a small company and the exchange is running just fine. Its running with windows 2000 active directory already. So I am starting the process of the upgrade. I have two extra servers laying around and wanted to do a test machine first. Now would it be better to install a exchange 2003 into the 5.5 or just setup a completely new 2003 exchange server and create all the accounts of only being 45. I would use exmerge that will export data and import into the new store. Now when i setup the old domain controller with active directory, what is the best way to get all the old accounts from the old ad server into the test one without deleting the old accounts. And for public folders there is only a few folders in there so i can just recreate those. Would this be a good way to do this and am i missing out anything?

thanks

Your title says 2007 but you don't mention that in the text.

If you are going to 2007 you can't use exmerge for a start. So if you plan to hit Ex2007, I'd recommend:

1. In place upgrade of 5.5 to 2000
2. Install a Windows 2003 DC. Upgrade AD
3. Install a Windows 2003/ Exchange 2007 box
4. Swing the users over to the Ex2007 box.
5. Move the public folders to the Ex2007 box.
6. Change the bridgehead to the Ex2007 box.
7. Ensure DNS is all set.
8. Decommission the Ex5.5.

This means no changes on the clients, no mess and fewer problems.

Zelandakh,

I will eventually go to exchange 2007 but i want to upgrade it to exchange 2003 and see if everything is working. I can use exmerge on exchange 2003. I already have a seperate windows 2003 ad running with active directory and all the accounts. Now i just want to setup a seperate exchange 2003 server and use exmerge from exchange 5.5 and then test it more before going to exchange 2007. I will then upgrade it from exchange 2003 to exchange 2007 but first want exchange 2003 up and running with testing.

Here is what i am going to start on.

Install a new DC and active directory 2003, which i have done
Then install a new exchange 2003 server
Then use the exchange migration wizard to migrate all mailboxes
Then run inter-organization replication tool to copy the public folders, etc.

then test exchange 2003

Others may try to do this so please report back on progress so that others can benefit from your experience.

Can I just point out something you probably already know - exchange 2007 only runs on the 64bit version of Win2003.

The servers need to be pretty basic, with 64bit chips - there is little driver support for exotic hardware, as 32 bit drivers don't work.

2007 takes some extra planning.

Hi...Its better install new exchange 2007 with latest hardware. Use ex-merge for extract mailbox and import to new exchnage 2007. Company like IBM and other doing same thing for 100 to 300 users organization.

Above all methods will icrease ur organization cost..money does matter :)

please close this ticket out. Im now in exchange 2007 as i figured out everything with the help from expert exchange. No one on this site help me out but thanks for the late response. I have been on exchange 2007 for over a few weeks now and no errors.

dmb2002man said:
No one on this site help me out

I thought I did.

dmb2002man said:
thanks for the late response

I responded within 10 hours on a product that was end of lifed in November 2005.

ExpertsExchange? Same people answering, different people asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back