Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading EntMan R5 / Ops 8 then Converting to VMware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitelmitel

Programmer
Feb 10, 2009
GB
So this is my plan, any feedback gladly accepted.

Current Configuration

? Enterprise Manager Release 3.0.2.2.
? Ops Manager Release 7.4.2.3
? Running on a physical server – Using USB License Dongle,
? Windows Server 2003 SP2
? Enterprise and Ops Manager installed and running on C:\ partition
? 2 managed nodes.
? SX2000 on main site running Release 34.2.3.8.
? SX2000 on remote site running Release 34.2.2.15

Client wants to upgrade to move the Enterprise Man std server to a VMware platform. They want to move EntMan from C:partition onto a D:partition. They want to upgrade software on std server first to test, then migrate to VMware.

? Backup Enterprise / Ops Manager.
? Follow procedure to ‘Upgrade Enterprise Manager to Another Drive Location’ moving it from the C:\ drive to the D:\ drive of existing server.
? Upgrade Enterprise / Ops Manager on existing server.
? License via AMC with new software assurance PN.
? Test functionality on existing server.

IT Dept to clone and transfer Enterprise Manager server to the new VMware server.

? BIS new VMware Enterprise Manager server.
? Reset Hardware Identifier on AMC.
? Test functionality in new environment.
? If successful, decommission old Enterprise Manager server.

Been down this road and flamed out a few times ;-)

- a backup made from the c drive will only restore to the c drive. Tell Client D drive is not an option.

- client will likely also insist on putting Win2K3 SP2 on the new server. At the present time SP2 is not supported by Mitel product support and there have been problems (we're currently one of those experiencing problems. Dunno if it's SP2 related or not, but Mitel says they cannot help us until we either put EMgr on a supported platform or else wait for the new load)

- there is a newer load of Ent Mgr coming soon (not yet available) which will support SP2. I strongly advise you to wait for it. Supposed to be release this quarter (before April)

- P2V clone will not pick up the MAC address of the source (physical) server. You will therefore get a new MAC address and will then need to do a reset on AMC, because the license is a hash based on the MAC address of the ethernet adapter

- based on the issues we've had, both the number and severity, I would get the VM server up and running then perform a clean install of Emgr from scratch.

Presently I'm very sorry we moved to a virtual machine because it's running SP2 and our IT dept is simply adamant that it most be.

Merely my experience.... your (and others') mileage may vary.

Check the release notes on OpsManager, but I believe it has issues with being installed on a drive other than C.

There's no mention in the release notes and in fact to the contrary the installation instructions in the tech handbook claims you can install it to any drive........

....however, voice of experience here.... you would be extremely well advised to put it on C: in the factory default location, because if you don't, there will be problems. Been down that road.

Thanks for the input guys, appreciated.

Yes, everything I have listed above is covered in the RNotes. However, field experience rules over whats written down IMO.

They were pretty adamant that they needed to put it on a D partition for the setup to work.

I will have a chat to someone to see what the official stance is on the partitions.

I sent the client the min reqs for the server, but I will double check a few things first.

The main issue with the C: partition has to do with the fact that this is where you presently have it and the backup routine will recognize and save those locations. Hence when you go to do the restore, guess where it's going to insist on putting it and guess where all the program pointers are going to be looking for it?

We fought the same battle and the server team finally relented. True, they want all applications on D: but you and I both know you can't always have what you want. The lever we used was that we simply refused to let them virtualize it until there was full agreement that the C drive was where it must go, period. If it absolutely, positively has to be on D: then install it there from scratch, recreate your database from scratch. (That's still no guarantee it'll work, but affords you your best chance)

As to Windows Server SP2, tho second-hand info on this point, the word I got from Mitel product support was that Emgr 5.0 UR2 (not out yet) is supposed to support 2K3 Server Service Pack 2. Do not load the current (5.0 UR1) version on a server with SP2. (That includes Win3K3 SP2 and Win2K3/R2/SP2.) There have been reported issues, and since the RN specifically warns against it, Prod Supp can refuse to assist you if the OS is running SP2.

OK....

You can move partitions on a standalone server, and there is even a procedure in the Tech HB. However its not recommended.

I spoke to my colleagues in prod supp and they definately do not recommend using anything other than a C drive location on a Vmware solution.

So, I have just sent my clients an email stating that they will have to allow me to use the C drive, on a Vmware ESX solution, with Server 2003 SP1.

Thanks for the feedback, site/practical experiences is what I like to find out about.

I will let you know how I get on.

So Enterprise Ops Manager can be virtualized?! I was told it was not supported.

I knew it was such a waste to buy a brand new Dell Poweredge just for that little application.....

-C

Yes, Emgr/Ops can be virtualized. It's even officially supported on VMWare (wheee!). The caveat (so far) is that Win2K3 SP2 is not supported, but that's supposedly going to be coming in UR2. Stay tuned.

All done!

I have just completed migrating the server and it is a success. This is what I did:-

Backup Enterprise and Ops Manager and copy files to a 'safe' location.
Upgrade Enterprise Manager and Ops Manager to R5.0 Ent / R8.0 OPS [UR1] on stand-alone server.
License via AMC synch.
Upgrade Java, clear cache, test functionality, and do a backup of Ent Man & Ops.
Migrate Stand-alone server to the VMware ESX environment [IT Dept will do this].
You have now moved platforms so your MAC address will not match the MAC that you licensed Enterprise Manager with earlier. You can do either of the following:-

Reset the Hardware ID of the Enterprise Manager on AMC, re-run 'setup.exe' in the Enterprise Manager software, and re-license.

Or do what I did:-

Change MAC address on the VMware Server for Enterprise Manager [Windows Server 2003 R2, Std Ed, SP2]:- Beware, most IT Depts will say you cannot change the MAC address of a server virtualised on VMware ESX - you can, but not through VMware, it is done on Windows instead.

1]Once logged into your server Right Click 'My Network Places' and select 'Properties'.
2]Right Click 'Local Area Connection' [VMware] and select 'Properties'.
3]In the 'General' tab next to the VMware NIC select 'Configure'.
4]On the pop up select 'Advanced'.
5]Select 'Network Address' and enter the MAC address that was used on your stand-alone server [with no spaces or characters, i.e. 09137258E1FC], select 'OK'.
Reboot.

Please note that 'Support' does not recommend you use a D:\ partition on VMware ESX, the IT Dept will fight you to use one but you must tell them that we can only use a C:\ partition.

Just upgraded from EM4 to EM5 inside VMWare. Any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back