Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading enterprise evaluation copy to licenced

Status
Not open for further replies.

elliotm

Technical User
Jun 10, 2003
GB
I have about 20 days left on a 120 day evaluation copy of enterprise exchange. Over the weekend I ran the set-up to reinstall expecting it ask for a registration key (which I have now purchased) but it didn't. How do I install the licence key?

You have to use a full version of Exchange Enterprise CD to install from, not the eval that you used initially.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Thanks. Will try it this weekend.

The eval that you download has preloaded keys. When you run the install from the CD that you purchased, it will look like it's doing a fresh install, but it's only going to copy over a few files so that the preloaded keys are replaced with your new license key. Install should go pretty quick.

lander215,

I tried the upgrade from the licenced CD's that were sent to me and again it did not prompt for the licence key.

I phoned the microsoft licence department about this and they say you have to uninstall the current evaluation version before installing the licenced version!

Have you (or anyone else reading this) actually tried going from the 120 day evaluation to the full copy? Did it work? I really don't fancy uninstalling exchange and reinstalling as it is a live server.

Your help is much appreciated.

No, I haven't. I looked real quick and didn't see where you couldn't go from the eval to the licensed version without reinstalling. But, evidently MS says you can't upgrade, so you have little choice.

I suggest never going live with a test server unless you have a clear path to upgrade.

I didn't have a choice concerning the upgrade as we ran out of space due to the 16gig limit.

I have just checked the install log as it states
"This is not an evaluation copy of Microsoft Exchange 2000; it will not expire" after the last install I completed using the CD. Do you think the licence could be preloaded on the CD like the evaluation version you mentioned earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back