Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading Domain from NT4 to Win2K. Need Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2001
US
I have upgraded several servers from NT4 to W2K befre with not a problem. Now however I am faced with a situation that is a bit more complicated. I have at a customers site an NT4 PDC and a W2K member server with Terminal Services installed. The customer wants the W2K system to now controll the network. However The existing NT4 machine cannot be upgraded to W2K. So nw I am forced to migrate ALL user names and settings From the NT4 machine to the W2K machine once I upgrade it to an AD DC. I will first demote the PDC to BDC then upgrade the W2K machine. How so I transfer the accounts from the NT4 box to the New DC (W2K) once upgrading is complete. Most of the MS articles I have found suggest upgrading the PDC to W2K first. Like I stated That cannot be dne. Some assistance would be great. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Use Active directory migration tool to migrate the users over.. OR.. if they have a database of users you can import them using CSVDE. you have to put in the plugs for it to work in active directory though.. We did it that way at work and its great.

There may be an easier way. Can you make the server to be adomain controller on the nt 4 network, then upgrade it to W2K. The other possibility, make a third box a temporary dc on NT4 and upgrade it to W2k, then run dcpromo on the final box. Hope it helps.
dw

I'm told my my MCSE that 2K server cannot be a BDC on a 4.x domain. He recommended the third-machine route, install a temp 2K server, have it assume DC status and take over for the NT box, run DCPROMO on the original 2K server, and kill the temp server. Sounds roundabout, but makes sense in a way.

Look for my question on logins to wrong server. This prompts me to consider making the 2K server here a DC...

Rick

Three servers definitaly the way to go. W2K doesn't support BDC or PDC's. There all DC's if they aren't stand alone. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest."
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790), US statesman, diplomat, inventor.

Third server is not an option unfortunatly. Demoting the Current NT4 machine to BDC then promoting the Windows 2K Terminal Server to DC will work fine. I just need to be able to transfer user accounts from the NT machine to the Win2K machine. I can use the AD Migration tool. I was hoping there might be an easier way. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back