Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading DAO to Office XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

accRonnie

MIS
Feb 15, 2005
NL
I've tried to find this in the help files or somewhere here in the forum, but I didn't succeed. Though it seems to be a pretty standard question to me.

I have to upgrade several databases from Access 97 to XP. The main problem seems to be the old DAO-code. In the databases I have, I got code like this:
Dim db As Database
(Dim rst As Recordset)
Dim strSQL As String

Set db = CurrentDb
strSQL = "..."
(Set rst = db.OpenRecordset(strSQL))
(db.Update strSQL)

Does anyone of you have a simple code (in ADO I guess) that replaces the noted code?

If these are legacy databases that you just need to get working, adding a reference to the 'Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library' and removing the ADO reference will resolve most of the problems. If you want to use both ADO and DAO functionality side by side you can preface objects common to the two libraries with the relevant library

e.g. Dim db as DAO.Database
Dim rst as DAO.Recordset

If you want to fully convert the databases to only use ADO then I believe there is quite a bit work to be done which others are probably more capable of helping you with than myself.

thread705-1004870, thread702-992308, thread705-1003818... you'll find more in the Access fora, of which there are 7 on the site (try both the forum search and advanced search found on the top of the page).

Welcome to Tek-Tips!

Here's a faq on how to get the most out of the membership faq181-2886, good luck!

Roy-Vidar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back