Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading CPU. Will i need a new cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddybliss

Technical User
Feb 19, 2008
GB
I've just bought an Athlon X2 4200 to replace my Athlon 3000. Will the existing 3000 heatsink & fan be sufficient or should i get a new one? If i use the existing one, will i need to get some thermal paste or can i use whats left oh the heatsink? Thanks!

It depends on exactly what the old one is. Your new processor can come in two flavors - socket 939 and socket AM2. You need to see which one you have and then compare the recommended heat sink with the old heatsink you have.

If you currently have an AMD Athlon™ XP 3000+ it doesn't look like the heat sinks are upwardly compatible with your new processor.

Yes you will need new thermal paste and clean the old paste off of the coller.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

My current processer is a 3000+ not xp 3000+ (if that makes any difference?) and is fitted with the standard retail cooler.

Thanks for directing me to the thermal solutions page of the AMD website. I've googled quite a few, but they seem to be thin on the ground (old products)?). I've been looking at this one, which seems good value:

Thanks

That's a good part for the price.

Tony

Users helping Users...

In my experience, the size/performance, of the heatsink/fan has not increased between these two CPU's.
Mainly because the original AMD 64 300 CPU's were based on a larger and hotter core design (die size has now shrunk and as a consequence the CPU's run cooler) And.....Athlon 64's run pretty cool anyway so the retail coolers that is used operates well within it's cooling capacity (in other words it has headroom for a faster CPU)
As long as your case is well ventilated (extra fans) just keep an initial eye on temps...make sure the X2 4200 stays below 50C (which I'm sure it will)
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back