Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading Compaq SMART Array Controllers - HELP! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catbot

MIS
Sep 10, 2001
GB
Hi

Can someone please advise on upgrading a 3200/4200 SMART Array controller to a 5300?

As recommended in the Compaq manual:
1) I've upgraded the System ROMpaq and loaded the NT driver
2) Powered down the server and removed the existing controller and replaced the new one in the same slot
3) Rebooted and configured the controller as the first boot device via Compaq F10

However, I got a BSOD and INACESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. This leads to think that I missed something out in NT itself?!? I've rebuilt the server as no data was on it and trying to avoid a similar fate on a Production server! Where did I go wrong?!?

Catbot (Woof to IT)

You forgot to upgrade the harddrive ROMPAQ. It is usually available as SP12987.exe with disks 3,4,5,6,7 out of the set of 12. The jump from a 3200 to a 5300 is a huge one. So always make sure you attempt that.

System ROMPAQ
Controller Firmware (old controller) ie. 3200
Harddrive Firmware
Install Controller Software
Install the Controller
Run the SCU (F10)and accept the new setting
GO to the OS and enjoy the new controller

Try to always these steps.
Good Luck.

Sunny

Thanks for your input. I was only using the 3200 as an example.

I actually tried to upgrade a 6400R and 4200 controller. Both already had the most updated firware. The hard drives are fairly new being only Ultra-3s.

One of my colleagues said that I should have set the boot order to point to the new 5300 before rebooting the server and using the SCU. What the heck is he talking about?!?

Catbot

That means that after the 5300 is installed and the system boots for the first time, press F10 and then go to System Configuration/Configure Hardware/Review and Modify/View and edit details In the screen that comes up look for the name of the 5300 controller and look for Controller Order and set that to First by pressing enter on the the option.

Sunny

That was exactly what I did!!! My colleague said something about the actual boot order within NT itself before booting! However, the only thing that comes to mind is the BOOT.INI and I can't see how that would change as Compaq says it retains all array settings and I haven't changed the array config?!?

Boot.ini is not going to be a issue here. 'INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE' only occurs if the OS is seen but the controller has no Idea how to interpret the information. if the Boot.ini was corrupt you will not even get to the OS or get to pick the OS. If you have a problem with the Inaccessible boot device you need to either repair your OS or reinstall the OS. If you resintall and still have the same issue you need to replace the controller.
My point being Boot.ini has nothing to do with this problem.

If you follow the steps that I outlined earlier you should always be OK unless you have a bad array controller, then you start seing problems.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

i have a compaq persario 7232 and key board with a scanner called compatibles my computer does not reconize it where do i go to down load so my computer sees it

Hi,

I need to rebuild a compaq proliant 3000 server with raid 5. The existing system is windows 2000. What are the step I should take into consideration before I type fdisk and reinstall w2k. I am not sure if I will lose my raid 5 configuration when I reformat the hard drive.

Hi,

I need to rebuild a compaq proliant 3000 server with raid 5. The existing system is windows 2000. What are the step I should take into consideration before I erase the existing data and reinstall w2k. I am not sure if I will lose my raid 5 configuration when I erase the data from hard drive.

Thanking you in advance.

You should not lose your RAID 5 config as you are only wiping the data on an existing RAID array.

I usually like to start from scratch if doing a clean build by using Erase (this wipes all data and RAID settings) and then updating firmware such the Array controllers, system ROMpaq etc. followed by using SMART Start to reconfigure the RAID. Then either choose the Assisted or Manual installation and install the OS.

Maybe the disk subsystem driver in NT is looking for the old controller, and, finding the new 5300. Seems to me that this would cause a BSOD.

hope this helps...

Catbot,

Here's the procedure I always follow (and works...) :

1. Insert the New controller in the server WITHOUT connnecting cables.
Reboot server. During POST, it should detect both controllers. For the old one, it still mentions the logical drives, for the new one it mentions 0 logical drives.
Press F1 to continue.
2. Run Compaq SSD's from the Smartstart Mgt CD's; i.e. after installing the new controller, reboot the server and boot from the smartstart cd. Select Compaq Software Support Paq and run the install. it should detect the new controller
3. After the SSD's are installed, power down the server again.
4. Connect the disks to the new controller, and reboot the server. During POST, it should detect both controllers. For the old one, it should now mention 0 logical drives, for the new one it should mention the exact number of logical drives.
You should get a prompt on the new controller to press F10 or F8 to customize options. (I used a 5i Controller and it was F8)
There you can select "Select as boot controller"
5. Reboot server, OS should start
6. Power down server, remove old controller
7. Finished

MAKE SURE TO ALWAYS MAKE A FULL-BACKUP BEFORE DOING THIS. Changing the controller could clean your RAID config of the disks and than you have NOTHING ANYMORE.

GOod luck,

PDTIT

In response to changing out the array controller:
1st thing, leave the 3200 in the original slot and install the 5300 in a different slot. Boot the system as normal with the 3200 (leaving the new contoller in the system). Hit F10 and run hardware config and let the system find the new controller. DO NOT CHANGE BOOT ORDER! Save and exit, allowing system to boot to OS. Let the OS find the new controller and install new drivers. Reboot and run F10 again. Run hardware config and set boot order, so system boots to new controller. Save and exit. POWER down system and move cables to new contoller. Power system back up and it will boot to new controller and load OS. Hope this helps!

The BSOD error "Inaccessible Boot Device" is exactly that. In the devices applet in Control Panel, the Compaq Array is set to boot, and this is the wrong driver for the Array 5300. To upgrade the RAID card do the following:
1./ Boot up the machine with the two RAID cards plugged in, ensuring in the BIOS that the old 3200 is set to be the boot device (obviously with the SCSI cable in the 3200)
2./ Upgrade the Compaq Drivers using the SmartStart CD. This should load the drivers for the RAID 5300, thus allowing NT to 'see' it. Reboot the server.
3./ Leave the SmartStart CD in to upgrade any ROMPaqs, where necessary. In the BIOS set the 5300 to be the primary boot device.
4./ Remove the 3200 RAID card and plug the SCSI cable into the 5300 and boot machine. At the prompt, press F10 for the diagnostics. This will detect the hardware changes and remove the 3200 from the BIOS.
5./ Reboot machine and the upgrade is successfully done.

If you're feeling brave, you can set the old array driver to disabled. We did not as we could not be sure whether it would be OK. I suppose that there is always the good old "Last Known Good" option but our system now works and we're happy with that driver still being loaded.

The BSOD results in NT trying to load driver, cpqarray.sys (Old array)....Download the Rompaq for the 5300...extract it on another server, copy files to floppy, boot BSOD server with ERD Commander...navigate to D:\winnt\system32\drivers...Rename Cpqarray.sys, *.old...copy contents of floppy into this directory.....reboot....Server should come up....

The BSOD results in NT trying to load driver, cpqarray.sys (Old array)....Download the Rompaq for the 5300...extract it on another server, copy files to floppy, boot BSOD server with ERD Commander...navigate to D:\winnt\system32\drivers...Rename Cpqarray.sys, *.old...copy contents of floppy into this directory.....reboot....Server should come up....

Try leaving the 3200 in the server in the same slot it was in and then remove it after a successful boot. If you;re running NT4, you coulld be having PCI enumeration issues which was really a bad problem with that OS. If you didn't already try to, be sure you put the new controller in the same slot as the old one. This may not be necesary on W2K, but I have seen it happen (on one of my own servers) there, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back