Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading Cisco switch WS-C2924-XL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

baitnswitch

Technical User
Jul 29, 2006
US
Hello All:

I am a newbee to cisco switches and routers. I tried downloading a new IOS image (C2900XL-c3h2s-mz-120.5.2-XU.bin) to a 2924 Cat switch via Xmodem, but after successfully copying the image, I am not able to boot the switch.Even after issueing the command "set BOOT flash:C2900XL-c3h2s-mz-120.5.2-XU.bin, I am getting this error message:

Loading "flash:c2900xl-c3h2s-mz-120.5.1-xu.bin"...Bootable image segment 12288
ddress range [0x45ff98, 0x3000] not in range [0x300000, 0x340f14].
Error loading "flash:c2900xl-c3h2s-mz-120.5.1-xu.bin"
Interrupt within 5 seconds to abort boot process.
Boot process failed...
The system is unable to boot automatically. The BOOT
environment variable needs to be set to a bootables
image.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ciao.

Does it give you a prompt after it displays this error?

What commands do you have available there?

Type ?

Do you have a "dir flash" command?

output for "dir flash:"
directory of flash:/
2 -rwx 1645824<date> c2900xl-c3h2s-mz-120.5.2-xu.bin
80896 bytes available (1647104 bytes used)
switch:

And that's the only file listed, and you're typing "boot", as per the document below, after you type: set BOOT flash:C2900XL-c3h2s-mz-120.5.2-XU.bin???

1. Enter the dir flash: command to verify if there is any bootable image on the Flash. The file with .bin extension is the bootable image on the Flash.
2. Enter the set BOOT flash: name of IOS file command to set the boot variable to the file name displayed in Step 1.
3. Enter the boot command.
4. After setting the BOOT parameters, reload the switch by entering the reload privileged EXEC command.

The switch boots up automatically with the correct image.

That is exactly what I am doing but no luck, my guess is IOS image file is corrupt. Thanks so much for your toughts.

Regards.

Sure you got the correct image ? Is this a 8 meg 2924 or one of the older 4 meg 2924's ? Older 4meg boxes will not runn that image.

That will not runn that image it is a 8 meg box image . You need an image for the od 4 meg boxes which will be an 11.2. XX image.

Go here for a 4 meg image , ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/lan/catalyst/2900XL/4MB/

Vipergg, thank you , thank you, thank you. I went to cisco ftp site and downloaded the IOS images, and it worked like a charm. Yes, you are right I was trying to boot from an image that would only work for 8mb switch.

If I can bother you with one more question? is it possible to setup a trunk between a 2924-xl and 2924-xl-en? I tried but not able to get it going, 2924-xl-en is a 8mb switch where as 2924-xl is a 4mb switch, and their IOSes have different command sets. I could not issue a commnad "switchport trunk encap dot1q" on 2924-xl switch.

Thanks for your help

Some old 2924's don't support vlan trunking. But...is ISL available to you on that xl, or can you not issue the "switchport trunk encaps ?" command at all?

Worst case scenario you make your uplink an access port and all the ports on that 2924 will just end up in the same vlan.

Don't think the old 4 meg models can do any trunking . The 8 meg enterprise models do have that capability .

Vipergg and chipk, thank for your thoughts. Let me go find a 8mb switch.

Peace.

Is that link still active?

I'm after the following for a 8Meg 2924.

c2900xl-c3h2s-tar.120-5.WC15.tar

Basically I'm running..

c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC5.bin

And I have been told to upgrade so I can manually set by Qos levels.

Chris Styles

NT4/2000 MCSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back