Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading an SM56 modem for Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlrogers49

Technical User
May 15, 2000
CA
I recently upgraded my system to Windows 98 and have been having trouble with my internet connection dropping out spontaneously ever since. I have been advised to download the latest driver to solve the problem, but when I go to the website I find the latest upgrade  is for Windows 95 and NT, but does not mention 98. Will this upgrade successfully solve my problem?

Recently, on ( someone posted on Monday, March 18, 2002 this question and answer:

Q. I have P III 500MHz, 128 MB RAM Azza motherboard, Motorola SM56 internal modem. My problem is that my connection always terminates at the beginning

giving random messages. Even if the connection is done, I am not able to open any site due to slow Internet connection. I have a Glide connection. Can there be any

problem in my telephone connection. Secondly, whenever I boot my system, a message appears, "CMOS checksum error defaults loaded to continue. Press F1." Upon pressing F1, the system works okay but the floppy drive is disabled. I have to open the BIOS and enable the floppy drive every time I boot the system now.

— Akshay, Patiala

A. Regarding your first problem, there could be many reasons responsible for the slow and unstable Internet connection. First of all, you must make sure that there are no cuts and joints in your telephone line. Also make sure that you are not using the too many extensions on this line and there should also be no noise in the telephone line. After checking these points you can be reasonably sure that your telephone line is correct and the problem lies somewhere in your computer or modem. However, if the above-mentioned conditions are not fulfilled, then possibly the problem in your Internet connection was due to these factors. In case, you are satisfied with the telephone line condition, then I would suggest you to reconfigure and reinstall your modem after uninstalling it. Thus, simply uninstall the modem from the device manager and restart your system. On restarting Windows will automatically detect the modem and will either install the driver or will ask for the driver files. After installing the modem, configure your modem properly that is, use the highest .com port speed and set the modem to receive and make calls. After the installation is complete restart your computer and on restarting your problem would be solved. Also, you must check the modem physically so as to make sure that it is not lose and is set properly in the slot.

Regarding your next problem, there could be many reasons responsible for it. The first and the most common reason for this kind of problem is that the CMOS battery has become week and need to be replaced. However before you replace the battery you must load the setup defaults in BOIS feature set up to make sure that the problem is due to the weak battery only. If loading default setup in the BIOS feature set up does not solve your problem, then you can try replacing the CMOS battery. I hope this will solve your problem. The other, though not very common reasons for this problem are impact of any virus on CMOS settings or any problem in your motherboard. But these problems are not very common and in most of the cases changing the CMOS battery solve the problem.

LOOK OUT!!! THESE GUYS ARE WRONG!!! I have the same boot problem on my PC several times, the first crapped C: and need to format it. Second time, I've learned the lesson and hired a service support. They said that never see something like that before and explained to me the causes: or battery or virus. Then, they changed the battery and charged like 20 US dollars. Now, this guy has the same problem. What do we have in common?
MOTOROLA SM56 INTERNAL MODEM!!! THAT'S IT!!! IS THE CAUSE OF ALL MY PROBLEMS!!! Disconnection, connection at the lowest bitrates, boot problem, AND THE LOST OF MY HARD DRIVE!!! THE HARD DRIVE OF THAT GUY IS IN DANGER!!! Now that I have the info, I'll throw my modem to GARBAGE and SET IT ON FIRE!!!
A fast fix on his first problem (due to a incapacity of Motorola Modem to handle big rates) is introducing these parameters:
+ms=v34
but I recommend... just burn it!
And I want to know if somebody here had or has the same problem.

i want driver for modem of motorola sm 56 which support ms-windows xp because my current driver does not support xp plz give me facility to download it my e mail id is deepak_btl@hotmail.com

i want driver for modem of motorola sm 56 which support ms-windows xp because my current driver does not support xp plz give me facility to download it my e mail id is deepak_btl@hotmail.com

Hi,
I have motorola sm56 pci modem but problem is this it got discoonect very frequently i made speed 9600 & i also add string at&f+ms=v32s10=255s25=255.

Kindly help me.

i need an upgrade for my motorola sm56 pci for windows me! can you help me with that?

i need an upgrade for my motorola sm56 pci for windows me! can you help me with that?

Can someone help me? I am still using Windows 98 and using that Motorola PCI Speakerphone Fax Modem. I recently replaced my hard disk and reinstalled my OS and my problem began. Everytime I go online, it's either that I get a blue screen (fatal exception error) in the middle of doing something, or that my computer resets by itself. Or if ever I get disconnected from the internet, I would have to restart my PC in order to be able to reconnect online. Is my problem the modem and its drivers?

i need up dates drivers for motorol sm 56 modem. version 4.10
for my pc for phone line modem
thank you

I reformatted a friends pc due to incurable virus. I failed to copy the system files. Now I cant identify the model of motorola internal modem. I can't determine the suitable driver fir it. The chipset is MOTOROLA 62412 -51 LRT32169A - X.69838. Please help me

i've got the same chip its a data/fax/voice motorola sm56. mine is a pci board.....here's one for ya guys..
system:
w98se
amd athlon 650 on a via mainboard...yes discontinued
sm56 d/f/v
nvidia riva tnt2 m64
creative sb live value
2 10g maxtor hd set on pri ide chn 1slv 1 mstr
1 16x dvd on sec ide chn set mstr
1 48x-24x-48x samsung cdrw on sec ide chn set slv
os fully upgraded
all hardware except sm56 has been updated
problem:
first off at17 show d/f/v and chipset #62412-51 validates
when i installed old driver the install was painless
dl new driver from motorola
follow instructions on uninstall and reinstall
during installation of new hardware, detector/installer says the drivers are not for the hardware
force the drivers to be installed
now no matter what resources are assigned to modem, shared or not i can not get modem info to even open a port and other than in the system devices file it basically is non existant....have tried every possible irq and i/o combination possible without any positive results. i get the same results with both df and dfv w98 driver dl

Unfortunately, you can try everything with a SM56 without great success.

In a conclusion:
1) If you are with XP, take the Win 2000 version, it's the better.
2) You can look for an Motorola V.34 init string. I work for an ISP and some people can stay two or three times longer on Internet before they'll lost the connection. (But you must accept the sacrifice to lost 1 or 2 kB/sec.)
3) You can try to "ping" continuously but lightly a fixed server because the SM56.
4) If you have a long phone cable, you can isolate it or reduce it to less than 3 meters.

The best solution, it's to buy an other BRANDED modem, like a 3Com, or to buy an old but very stable 33,600 bps modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back