Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading an SM56 modem for Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlrogers49

Technical User
May 15, 2000
CA
I recently upgraded my system to Windows 98 and have been having trouble with my internet connection dropping out spontaneously ever since. I have been advised to download the latest driver to solve the problem, but when I go to the website I find the latest upgrade  is for Windows 95 and NT, but does not mention 98. Will this upgrade successfully solve my problem?

I checked out this site, and apparently the modem's chipset is not right. It's a host signal processing modem and that's what causes the disconnects. It should have been a DSP (digital signal processer) wich is sort of a standard.

This might not make it any clearer but at least know u know that burning/melting the modem has become an option. Buy a better modem. I've got the same trouble as you...And it took me a while to find out why. Anyway this is a copy of where I got my info. cheers...

Motorola SM-56
ISA Homepage AC-L Homepage PCI Homepage
Motorola Main Modem Website
By: Bradford W. Liedel

The Motorola SM-56 is another Host Signal Processing (HSP) chipset based modem.  The lack of a Digital Signal Processor (DSP) or control chip yet again hitting the modem market with a nasty blow.  The modems will connect, and you will get the same speeds as other modems, however the lack of the DSP cuts into your computer's processor, and instead of the modem running off of it's own internal instructions, it largely runs off of software on your computer.  Due to this, as always, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that one of the major steps that you take in getting these modems to connect is to get the latest software for the modem.

I have yet to find a basic procedure for getting these modems to work, as I have not dealt with them quite as much as I have certain other brands.  They are tricky, but any connection troubles you experience with them can be fixed.  One of the main things I have noticed about Motorola SM-56's when connecting to USR Total Controls is that they often connect at v.34 and have frequent dropped connections.  It may be, perhaps, that the Motorola SM-56's are more sensitive to line noise, or that they were just getting poor connects and eventually dropped due to this.  Here is the procedure I would use:

Fifos: You cannot change the fifo settings on an SM-56.
Inits:  First lower the port speed to 5600
AT&F&C1&D2*mm14 (Basic connection trouble solving init + disable k56flex)
AT&F&C1&D2\KS10=200S15=125 (Basic connection trouble solving init + not a clue)
AT&F&C1&D2*mm15 (Basic connection trouble solving init + disable k56flex)
ATZ (Basic init)
AT&F (Basic init #2)
AT&F%B18 (Set connection speed to 33600)
AT&F&C1&D2 (Basic connection trouble solving init)
Three very important strings to remember when dealing with an SM56 are *mm15(disable kflex), *mm14(disable kflex), *mm13(disable v90), and *mm12(force v34).

Other things to try: If dropped connections are a problem, try checking the box that says required to connect under error control.  A newer thing we have been trying on the Lucent modems which is an odd fix, but works is switching RTS/CTS (Hardware flow control) to XON/XOFF (Software flow control).  I think this fix might also work for these modems.  If drop connects are not the problem then you may want to try (as a last ditch effort) turning error control OFF.

Other things to note: The minimum system requirements are as follows:
The SM56 ISA:
150MHz Pentium® Processor w/256K L2 cache
The SM56 PCI:
150MHz Pentium® Processor 233MHz AMD K6/K6-K6-2 Processor 266MHz Cyrix 6x86MX Processor 256K L2 cache Windows® 95/98 with 16 Mbytes RAM Windows® NT 4.0 with 32 Mbytes RAM

you may also try this string just in case noise on your line is adding to the disconnects. you definitely should also lower the port speed to 57600. the string is known as the s-register. here it is: <br>s10=255s25=255<br><br>FYI for everyone out there with bad phone lines...this string is universal for all modems.

I have the SM56 modem and am running under Win 95.&nbsp;&nbsp;When I try to connect to the internet&nbsp;&nbsp;I get a dial tone my modem dials the number but I get a fast busy signal.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have tryed to connect to number I know that are good, but my computer will not connect.&nbsp;&nbsp;Do anyone have the answer to what could be my problem.

I have problem an upgrading my PC to Windows ME edition,
the problem is the follow: each time that i try to open the control panel, my pc hangs, i detected that the problem is this modem, if i fisically uninstal this modem, the problem is over.
The question is the follow:
How can i do to get drivers for windows ME?

I have two computers, both fitted with modems.
Modem 1 is a NetComm roadster II 56, no problems.
Modem 2 is an internal Motorola SM 56, big problems.
It continually drops out as various times, hence my request for help. I have read the report written by Bradford W Liedel and to be honest, it was too technical for me to fully understand. When it comes to terms such as AT&F&C1&D2 etc, I have not a clue what these mean. Are these something I have to type in, or what?

Would some kind soul please email me with a step by step procedure to prevent my SM 56 from disconnecting all the time, if it's possible, before I take a hammer to it.

Kind regards,

Ken

I have just got off the phone with Bellsouth, my internet carrier and they said the reason I was not able to stay on line was because my modem needed upgraded because my UARTS needs to be NS 16550AN can you help.

We r using motorola Sm56 internal modem and running under windows ME ,we r facing frequently disconnection problem.we got the connection but within in a mint. got disconnection .so can to tell any solution for this ,can u help me ???

When i try to install Super voice software for sending fax messages it tells there is no response from modem

This page, in plain English, tells you where to put all those &quot;extra settings&quot; for your modem. Even has an image that shows you the Window you are looking for (in W95/98).

All SM56 users have to STOP and realise that their modems are inferior (HSP) as opposed to others which are superior (DSP). I am an SM56 owner, and I can assure you, connecting at 53,333 is possible, however, you WONT get that kind of throughput. You actually get BETTER connections, more stable connections, AND better throughput at lower speeds. The drop in speed need not be much. 43-44 nets you better speeds.

Please someone send me driver Motorola SM 56 Modem for Windows XP or Windows 2000

Hi There ,
I have a problem to connect to internet ,and when i researched this problem with internet company ,they told me i need to make upgrade to my drive ...so tell me plz if u can help me
i used sm56 motral modem,windows 98
thank u

yes my modem is complete crap i'm taking it back today

not only does it take forever to connect and has a bad connection speed but the piece of crap disconnects every 5 minutes... thanks for all the helpful information guys

if you have this modem and have the receipt and still have warranty... my suggestion is that you return it

i have motorola sm56 pci modem on hcl busybee2000 pc
pentium II 233 mhz, 80 mb ram, pci vga(s3trio), intel 440 lx motherboard, 15-7-95 bios.
i tried to install drivers for it in windows me.
drivers are accepted.(drivers for data/fax and data/fax/voice)
but whenever i try to connect an error message comes.
&quot;no dial tone detected&quot;
when i set it to pulse dial message comes&quot; computer you dialed not responding&quot;
but it dials phone no. in phone dialar(pulse dial)
in tone dial it doesn't dial at all
plzz help me!

stay away from this modem it will work fine for a short time and then it stops responding for 10-20 sec.

I had same problems as everyone elsere disconnects and slow speed of operation etc but I found an easy fix and modem works better than any Ive owned now. See my reply under &quot;Capt B&quot;. It is worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back