Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading a Category CS 10.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBusaidi

IS-IT--Management
Dec 21, 2004
OM
Dear LL Guru's,

I seek your support on the below questions.
1. I have a category that is used by roughly 300,000 documents. I need to add a new attribute to the category. Question is, how long will it take to upgrade to the new version?
2. If I rename an attribute, do I need to run the upgrade?

Thank you
K

1. I have a category that is used by roughly 300,000 documents. I need to add a new attribute to the category. Question is, how long will it take to upgrade to the new version?
Depends on what method you use if you use OOB OT Request Handler it could take some time 300000 is not a big amount. I recently upgraded an item that had to traverse 2.5 million nodes in LL with a custom tool using DA framework so LL supports it but OT OOB does not have any smart things. The approximate time it took me was 4 days. If you write a WR script you probably can get upto about 5000 to 10000 nodes per script and if you add about 4 WR threads it might give you about 20000 nodes.
2. If I rename an attribute, do I need to run the upgrade?
If you are doing this at the Category Version and say your Category Version increased by 1 then all nodes that had Version-1 will be need to be upgraded as best practice although you can upgrade folders first and then documents later and so on

BTW one other problem OT category Uprader won't tackle is if you add a new attribute and then make it mandatory, if that happens when you upgrade all folders will get upgraded but documents will get skipped because it needs a mandatory value at this juncture small organizations either hard code a value to the attribute definition or you can tweak a Opentext.ini setting that enforces this I think there is a flag under OpenText admin.index that checks if folders and documents need to obey mandatoriness

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008,Livelink ECM Champion 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back