Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading a c2600 IOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

IH8Puters

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2003
US
I was trying to install 12.3 (from 12.2) on a c2600 and ran into a problem, then created another one. Been a while since I've had to upgrade a router, I think 11.3 was the last time. I uploaded the new .bin file to flash alright (had room to leave 12.2 there), then entered config mode, then &quot;boot system <filename>&quot; wrote the config and reloaded the router. It still booted on 12.2. Thinking maybe the file was corrupt I deleted it so I could upload it again, no room. The file is marked deleted but is still there, &quot;Squeeze flash:&quot; gives me and error that I need to erase the whole flash to create a squeeze log (?).

First, I thought there was a &quot;sho boot&quot; command so I could see it what ios it was going to use and secondly anyone know a way around erasing the flash ? (I'm remote and know old murphy's law will burn me before I reupload the IOS if I erase the flash.

Thanks

At first you must be sure of what file system are you really using: flash or slot0. Flash is an internal flash memory card while slot0 is a external flash memory card.
Enter a Directory and Determine Which Directory You Are In
To enter a directory in compact Flash memory, use the cd command.

To determine which directory you are in, use the pwd command.

If you enter only cd, the router will enter the default home directory, which is flash:/.

The following example shows output for the following actions:

Entering the home directory of a compact Flash memory card in an internal slot (flash:/)

Verifying that you are in the home directory

Displaying the contents of the home directory

Entering the /config directory

Verifying that you are in the /config directory

Entering the home directory of a compact Flash memory card in an external slot (slot0:/)

Verifying that you are in the slot0:/ directory

Returning to the home directory (flash:/)

Verifying that you are in the home directory

Router# cd

Router# pwd

flash:
Router# dir

Directory of flash:/

3 -rw- 6458208 Mar 01 1993 00:04:08 c3725-i-mz.tmp
1580 drw- 0 Mar 01 1993 23:48:36 config

128094208 bytes total (121630720 bytes free)
Router# cd config

Router# pwd

flash:/config/
Router# cd slot0:

Router# pwd

slot0:/
Router# cd

Router# pwd

flash:

In your case you could be missing to specify the file system in the boot command, like:
boot system slot0:<file name>.

If you do not specify the file system it will bot from flash.

Thanks.

no external slots there. Actually I went ahead and erased the whole flash (and prayed until I got the IOS back in there. I also uploaded the new one again.)

Router#pwd
flash:
Router#dir
Directory of flash:/

1 -rw- 5849872 <no date> c2600-i-mz.122-8.T5.bin
2 -rw- 7411544 <no date> c2600-i-mz.123-1a.bin

16252928 bytes total (2991384 bytes free)

I haven't tried to reboot it yet, I'm going to be there this week so I'll wait until then just in case it's too messed up and I have to xmodem and image into it.

As for the &quot;boot system c2600-i-mz.123-1a.bin&quot; perhaps it should be:

&quot;boot system flash:c2600-i-mz.123-1a.bin&quot;

I reread the ios installation instructions and they say to enter a NO BOOT SYSTEM command then enter the new one(?)which I didn't do.

Could be the problem I guess, although after entering the new boot system command it shows in my running-config and startup-config (after a write) but only the new one I enter, I don't know where it's getting the one it's currenting using.

I was also thinking you could have more than one and it would fall back if the first one failed to load but I could be dreaming that.

Thanks again for the reply.

It looks fine now. When you enter a &quot;boot system&quot; command you &quot;add&quot; this command, after the existing one. You are right: this could be the cause of your problem. You must delete the old &quot;boot system&quot; as you said. Then, after adding the &quot;boot system&quot;for the 12.3 IOS, you may enter again the &quot;boot system&quot;for the 12.2. So, in this case, if it fails to boot from the 12.3 it will boot from the second options, the 12.2. Do a sh running after your final configuration and chech the boot system order. They are showed in the execution order.

As you have only one file system, the flash:, I believe you do not need to enter the &quot;boot system flash:&quot; command, but you use it. No problem.

I wish you good luck and please let us know if you face any other problem.

Great, I'll give it try !

Thanks for your help.
Dave

Must have been not doing the &quot;NO system boot&quot; first.

Came up on 12.3 the first time.

Thanks again !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back