Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgraded to SQL 2005 and receiving MacMSS.dll Connection Write Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2006
US
We have recently migrated our Macola install to a new server and upgraded to SQL 2005. The move seems to have went fine with the exception of an error we receive on various workstations.

***Begin***

The following error has occurred in MacMSS.dll:

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionWrite (send()).]General network error. Check your network documentation.

***End***

So far I haven't been able to pin the problem to any common link. Can anybody provide tips for troubleshooting the error?

The dynamic link library mentioned in your error, DBNETLIB, is the dll for TCP/IP. If you haven't done so already, try removing the alias at the client and re-adding it. You might also want to try disabling the TCP/IP connection at the client and switching to Named Pipes instead.

Peter Shirley

On some of the computers there were no Alias' setup. I thought I had read that they weren't needed. I have setup a new alias to point to the server and use TCP/IP.

Does Macola require Named Pipes?? Should I have setup the alias to use those instead or should I setup a second alias for named pipes?

Ok, I've got an update on this issue which is still occurring randomly on various workstations.

A list of things we have tried include switching NICs on the server, replacing all cabling between the server and the main switch closet (which was working fine prior to the upgrade but to be thorough we replaced anyways.).

I have also installed the SQL connectivity tools on the workstations using the SQL 2000 cd not the 2005 because the 2005 is for 64bit only. Maybe an issue?

We are still getting connection errors with both Macola and Goldmine and all other applications touching our SQL server. I'm leaning more and more towards a SQL configuration problem after doing all of the checking on the physical hardware / cabling.

The complete error from Macola:

MSL Technical Error Info:
An error occured in MacMSS.dll (ver. 76.400.00.6)
DB Provider Error:
COM Error: Error
Code = 0x80004005
Code meaning = Unspecified error
Source = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Description = [DBNETLIB][ConnectionWrite (send()).]General network error. Check your network documentation.
Op : DA, fhReadRandomLock
Table or Script: [MERCURY].[DATA].DBO.[OEORDHDR_SQL]

I would love to hear any other suggestions. Or maybe some tips on setting up SQL 2005 for Macola Progression.

is tcp enabled at the server ? Just mentioned as did not see listed. By default, I think only shared memory is enabled.

Please explain statement about sql2005 / 64bit?
SQL connectivity tools for SQL2005 are 32bit, unless you have a 64bit version of SQL2005 (don't think exact supports that).

I think you may have awnsered your own issue - install the the SQL 2005 native client.

Yes, I have TCP/IP installed on the SQL server as well as Named pipes.

To explain the 64bit issue. We have install disks for SQL 2005 64bit edition but these disks will not run on our workstations to allow us to install the latest connectivity tools. I've tried to search for a download of the 2005 Connectivity tools but I haven't had any luck. Can someone point me to this install file by chance?

Also, this issue is more widespread than Macola. It is effecting our Goldmine install as well as our website which access the same server.

It is acting as though SQL is just dropping connections or getting full and then dropping connections. We have purchased processor license instead of a user license with SQL so we should be able to host unlimited connections. It keeps feeling more and more like some configuration is setup wrong in SQL.

I'm curious what you find out here . . . . we may be upgrading in the next few weeks.

I didn't know that Exact officially supported SQL 2005 yet?

This is most likely your fix: Microsoft KB 942861

There is an issue with TCP Offloading, especially with ANY Broadcom-based network card for the past 2 years. This is affecting Dell, IBM, and HP. We use the HP DL380's with the HP NC373i and have finally figured this out.

As for 64-bit and SQL 2005:

We are in a controlled release of Macola ES 9.5 (the upgrade from v.372). This is the first version that officially supports SQL 2005. However, with that being said, you can run 360, 372, etc. on SQL 2005 as long as you set it to Compatibility Mode 80 for the MSLLockDB and Database files without any problems. There are SQL Statements that needed to be re-written to work in native 2005 mode, so do yourself a favor and don't try it. Even after you are on 9.5, if you use other programs (like Wisys Barcoding), they may not be compatible with SQL 2005 Native.

We are running MS Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Ed. R2 64-bit with SQL Server Enterprise Ed. 64-bit and are not having any problems. With this also being said, Exact does not officially support x64 (though their documentation doesn't say it is NOT supported either). I am in a conversation with Donna Eblin (the Sr. QA Manager) concerning this right now - who says that they do not support it.

Aaron Mack
amack @ tpcwire . c o m
IT Manager
TPC Wire & Cable
Have been on Macola since 1983.

Browneye

You can get the 32bit media for SQL 2005 through eopen.microsoft.com.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back