Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgraded to SP6a, then after restart of PDC, User List is gone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

flygirl

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2001
US
After an upgrade to SP6a, my PDC after restarting is missing its user manager listings. What should cause this? Can anyone offer up any suggestions that would fix this problem? Additionally, due to the same problem, the domain password is not recognized to start up some services...obviously since no user list is there...

Please help....thanks in advance!
Amber

Hey Flygirl,

The only thing I can think of is to restore from a previous backup run virus scan and then reinstall the SP.

You may also want to completely power down the PDC and let it sit for a few minutes and then bring it back up and see if this fixes the problem.

Another option is to get your NT 4.0 CD and reinstall but don't do a complete reinstall but do a fix option and this should take care of any potential corrupted files.

Good luck and I hope this works.

I can't think of what really went wrong except that I wouldn't install a SP until the end of the day when everyone is not logged in or really in the morning or during the weekend.

Your problem could also be due to a virus. Check it out and let me know.

Carl

Thanks!

The issue ended up being the fact that we were building a new server to split network server function.....not intentionally, using that DELL open manage disk, pdc was chosen thereby booting out current PDC from the Network. We caught it though and things returned to functional order.

Our new current problem...however is that the same machine causing the problems before was reformatted and built this time as a BDC to be later promoted to PDC. I am not sure if this has any impact on our current situation, but here it is: Users of NT 4.0 server - when they log in, it seems that their userprofile has somehow becoe corrupt ans throws a 'Cannot start Outlook' error as well as throwing a Dr. Watson error when trying to launch IE. We are seeing it in 98 machines as well this morning, manifesting through dropping mapped printer paths.

Have you heard of anything like this? We have taken the new BDC off of the network as of yesterday, so it is no longer an issue...could this be a new virus???

thanks!
Amber

on the client machine or on the PDC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back