Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgraded to 8.5, get odbc error for dates now

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckybear

Programmer
May 28, 2002
US
I just upgraded from Crystal 7.0 to Crystal 8.5. I opened some reports to an Oracle 8.1.7 database. When I try to run them, I get an ODBC error "ORA-01830: date format picture ends before converting entire input string". Then I get a dialog box that says "Error detected by database DLL", then the Crystal application just hangs and I have to kill it with task mangler.

I tried this version of crystal also with some reports from oracle 7.3.4 and I get the same thing, except the application doesn't hang indefinitely after the DLL error.

If I remove the date parameter, these reports run just fine. I get the same results with both a single date and a date range. Anyone have any ideas as to what's going wrong?

It sounds like you're using a format on a date that CR doesn't think is correct. The difference *might* be driver related.

First, open the report and do a verify database. Don't execute it yet. Mow save the report under a different name.

Now open the field explorer and see what it thinks the data types are.

It may be that you just have to eliminate the datetime fields from the report and place them in again, or the verify may resolve.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

Thanks for the advice.

I did a "Show Query SQL" and tried the sql through sqlplus and it didn't work. The datetime sql that CR 8.5 was spitting out couldn't be handled by my ancient ODBC driver.

I updated my client and ODBC drivers to Oracle 8 and everything's working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back