Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgraded graphics card-system hangs during boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graywolf96

Instructor
Apr 9, 2001
US
By golly, I've done it again. Upgraded 8M SIS 6326 AGP slot graphics board with 64M GEforce 2 nvidia MX400 AGP board. Per user group discussions, I first removed the old driver software and then removed the device from Systems Device Manager. Installed generic SuperVGA driver. Put in the new board, booted and Win 98SE recognized the board but as a PCI(??). Installed new driver and rebooted but there was a IRQ conflict (I guess with the SuperVGA driver). Booted into Safemode, removed the VGA driver and the new driver to start over. Rebooted and new graphics board still being recognized as a PCI board, driver installs, reboot and then it hands on the Win98 screen. Anyone have any ideas? Is there a conflicting Windows file that needs deleting? Appreciate any help.

Go into Bios, usually there is a setting you have to switch that says something like "use as primary video" can't quite remember! but it just needs switching to first display device VGA. Sorry can't be more specific, been to bed since last time I looked! All the best. Martin.

Don't allow win98 to install that driver or reinstall driver after and choose from the list instead of allowing 98 to pick it for you.
also make sure you have the correct drivers for the card.
Try Nvidia web site for updated drivers.
Make sure your bios says to boot from agp not pci. There is no need to install the generic vga driver Just remove the old driver shut down , install new card and boot.

Still trying to figure this one out. Bottom line: Win 98SE recognizes and installs driver for graphic card below, but hangs up on the Win 98 logo screen on reboot-although I can HEAR all startup things happening in background. Have reinstalled system, nVidia manufacturer says it should run ok, seller says check BIOS with MB manufacturer (SOYO), MB manufacturer says don't upgrade BIOS unless soemthing REALLY wrong with system. Yadda yadda.

However in thread below, one person recommended checking BIOs settings on bootup and enable something AGP related. I show the following possibilities that might be related to the video card:

1. On the section labeled "ROM PCI/ ISA BIOS", there are three suspects:
a. System Bio Casheable - disabled
b. Video Bios Casheable - disabled
c. Video RAM Casheable - disabled

2. On the section labeled "Intergrated Peripherals", there is one suspect..and likely??

a. Init Display First - PCI Slot (the other choice is AGP)

Anyone know which one(s) is right? Or is there one I'm missing. Any help appreciated.

Did you try what jimcr recommended?

Don't allow Win98 to install the PCI driver. When your PC's running (on the standard VGA driver), install the driver from the CD that came with the card. That usually does the trick.
One by one, the penguins steal my sanity. X-)

Yep...specifically browse to the CD to get the correct driver...and have gone to nVidia's web site for the latest drivers...but of course that's a farce since I can't use them until I get the CD driver to work. I have installed this card 3 dozen times at least over two months (probably wore the gold off) and always the same.

If you have an AGP video card then you need to change the Init Display First setting in the BIOS from PCI to AGP.

In your original post you said that you had, and I quote, "64M GEforce 2 nvidia MX400 AGP board."
Therefore changing the setting to AGP should solve your problem.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back