Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgraded computer doesn't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

gouldish

Technical User
Aug 15, 2001
US
I have replaced my motherboard and processor with an ECSL4S8A2 motherboard and a Pentium 2.4GHz processor. The motherboard calls for a socket 478 processor with up to 533MHz FSB. It also has 8X AGP slot as well as USB 2.0 and IEEE 1394. The board also calls for DDR SDRAM 333 I have a PC 2700 DDR SDRAM at 512MB.

I have a 300W power supply I have the DVD+RW drive three hard drives a Radeon All-In-Wonder 64 DV video card.
I hooked it all up and turned it on the motherboard turned on I get no video signal and the DVD+ROM wouldn't open up, I got no beeps, as far as I know everything is hooked up correctly. Anyone have any idea what may be the problem.
One question though, the 8X AGP slot, is it downward compatible 2X or 4X AGP board? My video card is a 2X or 4X AGP board.

Does anyone have any other ideas what may be my problem.

Yes it should work fine at 4x really. I would double check all the power connections and ensure all of the IDE connections were plugged in the correct way around.

Is the CMOS jumper on ?
If you Take out all the IDE cables and cards, leaving only the Graphics card in, does it boot ?

I haven't changed any setting from the factory. Does the CMOS Jumper have to be on? I will try the rest when I get home since that is where my computer is now. Thanks for the advise. Any other ideas would be helpful.

The CMOS jumper is usually in the right position out of the factory but you can always check in the manual.

Basically the CMOS just there to clear the Motherboard settings should the need arise.

I would hazard a guess at one or all of the IDE cables being plugged in the wrong way, or perhaps the Power Supply.

Also, when you turn on the machine do any of the Fans inside the machine start up?

Yes all the fans run. The two case fans are attached directly to the powersupply and the CPU fan is attached to the motherboard. All run and the motherboard red led is lit. But that is all that happens as far as I can tell. I know the BiOS jumper is set correctly. You know the one to clear the BIOS.
Could it be that I need a greater powersupply? I think the one I have right now is 300W. All worked fine before I upgraded.

For other ideas, you might check faq602-2731.

Hope this helps!

Mudskipper
-----------------
Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this!
Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

I imagine that the PSU would be fine. If you remove all the IDE and Floppy cables etc, leaving just the Graphics Card, Motherboard, Memory, Processor and Fans in the case, and then power up, does it get any further at all?

Is it a P4 Power supply? you may need an addtional power for the CPU.

it's either a dead mb or non-working processor. 300w is good for p4. pentium does not require a lot of power, but amd does. i would use 300w for p4 and 350+for amd

ff

my guess is video card incompatibility. some motherboards will only support 8x cards.

try booting with only motherboard, processor, ram, video, and 1 hard drive. If it still doesnt do anything its probably either the cpu or video card.

note.. when I checked the stats at it says 8x agp.. they don't say anything about backwards compatibility. If I remember correctly, the signal strength for an 8x agp is 1/2 that 1/2/4x ones.. so the motherboard is probably registering an incompatible card, and not booting to prevent damage.

try an 8x card :)

Nick
Computer Support, no not just hardware.. I support everything :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back