Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgraded App from VFP 3 to 6 -reinstall ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newtonm

Programmer
Nov 8, 2001
CA
I have just recomplied a client's app on my development machine from VFP 3.0 to VFP 6.0. Do I have to install VFP 6.0 on clients network server or can I just upload the new .exe and it will run?
Richard Myers
Four Letter Software Inc.

Newtonm

You do not mention type of setup it is. If its a server/server application (meaning the data and the exe is on the server), the VFP runtime files have to be on the server (and registered), if its a client/server application (meaning data on the server and exe on the client) the the VFP runtime files have to be on the client's machines(and registered). In either case use the Setup Wizard, create a setup of your application and VFP will take care of bringing in the required runtime files. Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Hi Mike:
Both data and the .exe are on the server, however the previously installed VFP 3.0 runtime is correctly installed and registered. Do I have to uninstall this version and reinstall the VFP 6.00 version or can I just upload the .exe??

Richard Richard Myers

Newtonm

Do I have to uninstall this version and reinstall the VFP 6.00 version or can I just upload the .exe??

No, you don't need to uninstall the VFP3 version (you only are leaving 3 or 4 files in the system folder), but as i stated in the above post the VFP6.0 runtime files have to be installed on the server (including registering them).
Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

From the Visual Foxpro 6 documentation:

The .exe file works in conjunction with two Visual FoxPro dynamic link libraries (Vfp6r.dll and Vfp6enu.dll) that you ship with your application to provide a complete run-time environment for Visual FoxPro.

You only need to copy these two libraries into the same subdirectory on the server that the .EXE resides. On the workstations, setup a shortcut that starts the application in the server subdirectory where the .exe and Dlls are located.

You do NOT need to uninstall 3.0 or remove the 3.0 runtimes either.

Chet Gardiner

Thanks Chet that sounds simple enough. As one part of the client is located 3000 miles away this will greatly facilitate the upgrade. (Using PcAnywhere via DSL)

Regards RM Richard Myers

If you have another computer on your network without VFP 6 installed, test it out on that computer first if only to make sure you've included all of your libraries, etc. in the build.
Chet Gardiner

chetg and Newtonm

What chetg suggested is fine, but what it fails to point out is the dll should be registered.Please refer to faq184-2644 which is a quote from the departed Ed Rauh. Mike Gagnon

chetg and Newtonm

To complete the subject, if you decide to just copy the DLLs (without register them), yes it most likely will work but the application when it starts will look in the system for it's runtime files, first in the registry, the in the windows path, and eventually in the application folder. If its a network application the path is even longer, and if your dlls are unregistered every time the application starts it creates a new instance of the dll as oppose to using the same instance. A few months from now you will come back to Tek-Tips with the question "How can I speed up my application startup". By then I hope you will remember that you should have registered the DLLS.

If you are unclear on the process of registering your dlls, please feel free to ask. Even your client can do it since registering dlls does not require VFP, but its done through windows. Mike Gagnon

Many thanks guys: I've burned a CD using the Setup wizard with just the .exe file (which is all that is changed) This installs and registers everything perfectly.

Its several years since I used this setup for VFP and my 71 year old brain is not quite as swift as you young fellows. Not bad for an Old Fart tho!!!<BG>
Richard Myers

Newtonm
Many thanks guys: I've burned a CD using the Setup wizard with just the .exe file (which is all that is changed) This installs and registers everything perfectly.

Glad it worked out for you!

Mike Gagnon

This is why I wish M$ hadn't muddied the waters by dumping the easy installation wizard and replaced it with &quot;install shield light&quot;, which is a huge pain to figure out and is a blatent &quot;product placement&quot; (I wonder what M$ was paid?).

The point being that it's not so easy in 7.0 and they've probably done the same thing in 8.0.

Chet Gardiner

Chet,
The reason MS &quot;muddied the waters&quot; is because the installer included with VFP 5 & 6 was written for Windows 3.x. While it worked in most of the new OSs, most of the time, it didn't install files in the &quot;right&quot; places as defined by the Windows specs which made it easier to corrupt a given install. The new 32-bit Windows installers (including ISE) all are based on the Windows API installer technology that makes it easier to keep track of where files go and makes for cleaner uninstalls. So while ISE may be a bit more difficult to use, your users will have a much better and consistent installer / uninstaller. Additionally, if you upgrade to the non-free IS Installer, you'll have many more options that really make your job easier AND more professional looking.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back