Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrblonde

Technical User
Mar 16, 2001
US
I have a quick question.

I currently have WinNT4.0 sp6 with 10 CAL.

I am moving it to a new network with no server, and I want to upgrade to Win2k server. I will need to be able to connect up to 50 users. I'm confused on the licenses. What will I need to purchase in order to get things working?

Thank you.
Mr. Blonde

nt cals are no good with win2k. maybe buy the win2k that comes with 25 cals, and then buy another 25 pack (or numbers of 5 packs) when needed.

you also say 50 users. does that mean 50 machines (ie per server or per seat)?

tell me MS licensing is easy, and ill buy a macintosh!

Thanks for the response tom~

Yes I have fifty machines. If I got the licensing idea correct buying the client access licenses are the way to go with single server enviroments such as mine. ???

Actually it's the opposite. For a single server you're better off getting per server licenses. Just because you have 50 computers doesn't mean you'll need 50 licenses. It depends on your concurrent connections to the server.

Per seat licenses are better if you have multiple servers because 1 pc with a per seat license can logon to multiple servers.

Silly...isn't it! :)

Very cool Clark thanks.

Actually I will have most people mapped to the server concurrently. There is a dot board in/out program that we are using to keep track of the employee's. So which should I go with?

Mat

I would go with per seat, just in case you decide to drop a second server in, you won't need any more licenses.

Just a note, you can change a server from per server licensing to per seat licensing but you can't change back.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back