Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrade WSS to SPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2001
US
On the Windows 2003 server, we have WSS installed and running with several sites. Our main site is available to the external users as well as internal users. We have just installed SPS2003 SP2 on the same server and all the sites are up and running.

We would like to migrate/upgrade the existing sites to use SPS2003 instead of WSS2003 specifically we have a site with over 5000 documents that we need Boolean search capability. Is there a way to UPGRADE the existing sites or do I have to delete and rebuild?

Thanks
Joe

Hello,

Easiest way is to just configure your curren WSS sites to be connected to a portal. If you do that your sites will be listed in the Portal site directory and will be indexed and searchable from the Portal.

Even if you are running SPS2003 I would say that most the work in for example, projects, teams etc. still is done in WSS (since the SPS2003 is built on top of WSS).

I would say that use WSS when you are working with documents and then once they are "finished" publish them to an area in the Portal.

To connect your current WSS sites to your newly installed portal simply go the the site, click site settings, click go to site administration, at the bottom click configure connection to portal site. Enter the portal webaddress and the name of the portal.

Now your WSS site/site collection will be connected to a portal.

Cheers,
Thomas

Thanks Thomas; I did link the two sites together however was not able to get the boolean to work.

I am just surprised that Microsoft does not have a upgrade plan for WSS to SPS

Thanks
Joe

Hello,

You should be able to do the search from the Portal instead of doing the search in the WSS sites. Have you made a full update of the indexes? Sometimes you even need to reset the indexes and do a full update of them again.

Also, the search results a user gets via a portal search is based on the rights the user has in WSS.

Cheers,
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back