Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade VFP6.0 to 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ongoma

Programmer
Jun 14, 2006
KE

Hi fiends,

If I have a licensed vfp6.0 how can i get an upgrade to 9.0 and what are cost implications. (Probably though downloads)

Thanks friends

You could buy it online, but I don't *think* you can get it as a download.

I picked up my copy in the UK, it cost 529 GBP including VAT - but it was a full new copy, not an upgrade one.

Martin

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

I agree with the others. As always, the best advice is to shop around.

Just to add ... the upgrade from 6.0 to 9.0 will be worth every penny of what you pay. If you do a lot of VFP programming (and I know you do), you'll recoup the money in terms of improved productivity.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

What would be the general consensus as to the improvements/cost benefit of upgrading from 8 to 9?

Thanks in advance....

Andy Snyder
SnyAc Software Services

I can't say on 8 to 9, but the development environment is much better from 6 to 9.

The reporting in 9 is a little flakey - using the compatibility arrangements you do get a few odd results, too difficult to detail - a bit of fiddling seems to fix them.

I do all new projects/apps in VFP9 and I think it's well worth the investment.

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Thanks Griff.... I'm using 8 right now for all of my maintenance and developement... pretty happy with it... 6 was good, 8 was much better...

Andy Snyder
SnyAc Software Services

Andy,

To answer your question, you need to divide VFP versions into two groups: 6.0 and below; and 7.0 and above.

Going from any version of the first group to any version of the second group is a must-have upgrade. You get lots of excellent producticity improvements - not least of which is Intellisense - plus many worthwhile enhancements to the language and object model. The upgrade will be worth every penny.

Going from any version of the second group to any other (later) version (e. 8.0 to 9.0) is less compelling. You've already got Intellisense and similar productivity features. If you do upgrade, you'll still get a lot of benefits, but whether it is worth the cost and effort really depends on what features are important to you, and how much time you can devote to learning them.

For me, 9.0 is far and away the best version yet, and was well woth the cost and time to upgrade. But your situation might be different.

I would add that if you are going to go to the trouble of upgrading (and it's really not that much trouble), you might as well go with the latest version.

Griff,

I certainly don't agree that 9.0 is flakey. On the contrary, I've had far fewer problems with it than with any other version.

What's your experience.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Mike,

I don't mean that VFP 9 is flakey. Not at all.

I have found that the conversion of reports from VFP 5/6 directly to VFP 9 is not 100% trouble free.

The bulk of conversions have been pretty good and the finished product is very good indeed.

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

No Mike, I can see how what I wrote is ambiguous.

Entirely new reports are fine.

Converted reported reports (5/6 to 9) exhibit a few anomolies - all of which I have been able to solve by messing about in a pretty much undefined manner... cutting and pasting into new reports mainly.

Actually, I've has a *few* problems with forms too - but nothing serious and only with conversions.

So 'Rah Rah for VFP9'!

B-)

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

I'm working exclusively in 9.0 (full time) and report designer is crashing way to often.

I have had a few failures from the report designer, and from the forms designer come to that - nothing to speak of in the production systems though.

Apart from a 'vanishing combo box' that I posted on here about!

B-)

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back