Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade to Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartibog

MIS
Feb 17, 2003
CA
hi, I would like to know what the order should, which server should I upgrade first and so on.

Here is what I have

Server1 : W2K sp3, DC, all 5 roles and GC
Server2 : W2k sp3, DC, GC
Server3 : W2K sp3, DC, GC
Server4 : W2K sp3, E2k sp3

Should server1 be upgrade first, then all my dc's, followed by exchange and then server4?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Well, since the E2k box isn't a DC, you could use W2k3 on it without upgrading the DCs. You'll need to /forestprep and /domainprep, but that's it.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Thanks for your reply 58sniper!

could you tell me in which order would you upgrade those boxes?

- prevent attribute mangling (- Upgrade Windows
- /forestprep
- /domainprep
- upgrade Exchange.

If you're going to upgrade the DCs, then
- prevent attribute mangling (- adprep /forestprep
- adprep /domainprep
- Windows 2k3 on DCs
- setup /forestprep
- setup /domainprep
- Exchange 2k3

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

I am going through the same process. I've got (had) a Windows 2k SP4 server box with Exchange 2k SP3. I was told to upgrade the server first and then Exchange. I did all the necessary steps to prevent attribute mangling, So I upgraded from Windows 2k Server to Windows 2k3 server, ran ForestPrep and DomainPrep. When I run Setup for the actual upgrade and try and choose 'Upgrade' for Microsoft Exchange (v.6.0) it gives me the following error:
'The component "Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services" cannot be assigned the action "Upgrade" because: - You must use the same edition of Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Setup (Enterprise or Standard) as the existing installation'
For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get around this. I've searched Microsoft, Google, on here and I can't even find that exact error message.
Any help anyone can provide would be very helpful. I'd rather not have to start from scratch and use the move mailbox feature.
Dave

What is now proved was once only imagined -Aristotle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back