Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade to Win2k3 from NT 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

AccUser

MIS
May 11, 2000
US
We have a small network with 6 servers (1 NT PDC, 1 NT BDC, and 4 2K member servers).

We would like to upgrade our network to Windows 2003, but my problem is that PDC also houses Exchange 5.5. I ran the HCT on this server and was informed that due to space requirements, the boot partition is too small for the upgrade (the boot partition is only 4GB large!).

How can I migrate from NT to 2003? What would be the best and easiest and pain-free method of migration?

u need consider inter-org migration using admtv2.

question for you, how many users? if less than 50, i strong suggest build from scrath to avoid those hassels and pain.

just my 2 cents.

you must have your Information store on C or something.....you can do an in place on a server with a 4GB partition.

thanks for the advise, taking benlu's advice and building from scratch on new equipment.

Question: i was told that it is easier to re-add my users manually than try to export exchange 5.5 into 2k3. I have about 50 users. they are suggesting exporting each mailbox to its own pst file and than after the installation is complete, importing the files from the psts. I think that would take way too long. I thought it is easy just exporting the priv/pub data (priv 9 gb / pub 100 mb).

You are right about the information store being elsewhere. it is on a different partition, which was why i didn't understand the error about the low space (doesn't matter at this time anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back