Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrade to S8700

Status
Not open for further replies.

rod1

Technical User
Jul 15, 2003
PH
Hi! Is ist possible for our PABX to be upgraded to S8700? I have a Definity G3r release 9. Because I read that in S8700, you can have a meet me conference feature which our company would like to have.

Sure, gotta get an upgrade purchase ordered, and AVAYA can do a blow back kit for you..

BuckWeet

Most defintley. I was going to do one for our HQ but we had some issues with IPSI cards adn firmware. We have a large call center that we can't risk having any problems with. We have the S8700 running in a lab just to ensure there are no issues. Other than our one occasion, I have heard nothing but good things about the S8700. You can even use somem of your old circuit packs and save some $$ upgrading from a G3Si or G3r

If cost is a real big issue, you can still upgrade your existing G3R to release 11 (or CM 1.3.) Although the G3R is no longer being sold, and release 11 is no longer available for any other systems, Avaya has been "nice enough" to allow existing G3R owners upgrade to release 11 through this summer. Since release 11 includes Meet-Me conferencing, this would get you where you want to go.

Although this is a very viable option, I would highly suggest that you spend the extra money and go to the S8700 because it is the current and going forward platform.

I hope this helps!

IPSI

Thank you very much to all of you guys. I think I might go to S8700. By the way, is the support to G3r system is still provided by AVAYA? Thanks.

All Definity/MultiVantage/Communication Manager products are still supported by Avaya.
FYI: you wouldn't need to have a blowback done. All you will need is a tech to come out with a MOST tool. You do a save trans to the removable media/TN2211. The tech takes that disc out and puts it in the MOST tool. You take the PCMCIA end of the MOST tool and put it in the top PCMCIA slot of the S8700. Some commands are run and the translations are moved from the MO disc to the S8700.

Well, Last time I tried to put MOST in top PCMCIA slot of S8700 it caused machine to reboot :) For me only bottom slot was good place to put MOST PCMCIA.
Another thing is that, this eq isn't too smart, so if you have any x.25 application (Audix CL, DCS, etc.) better move them to IP or at least remove them from configuration before you will backup translations to MO for MOST to read them.

Do not use the bottom pcmcia slot!!!!! If you ever use the bottom slot, it disables the top slot in software and you have to get Avaya Tier3 to dial in and re-enable it.

Well, what do you mean disable? As I said, when I tried to use top slot, it caused 8700 to reboot. When I used bottom slot, it was working ok. And after I read translation from MO I was still able to use top slot for backup. Btw. I checked documentation again, and it clearly states to use bottom slot.
But I heard, that some poeple have to use top slot.

any connecting or disconnecting of devices from the active s8700 can cause it to reboot. only do work of this nature on the inactive server. also, it is known that in some instances that if the bottom pcmcia slot is used that it totally diables the top pcmcia slot and save translations cannot take place if the 128mb card is in the top slot. avaya has to dial in and re-enable the top pcmcia slot.

has anyone gone through the uppgrade and if so would you mind sharing any thoughts on the upgrade. Im going to be upgrading in 2 months or so.

Alex.

Get the migration guide from the support website. Some possibly useful information is here:

As for other comments in this thread regarding the pcmcia slot, the designated slot for backups is the lower one or slot 0). When the flash drive becomes inoperable it is due to an issue with the drivers. Rather than involve avaya, busy out the machine and reboot it, it's what avaya would do anyway.

I recently migrated my employeers G3si(SCC)MV1.2 to a S8700 ACM 1.3(SCC). The problems that I experianced were as follows:

> IPSI Failure post implementation
> IP to Serial solution for CAS that Avaya provided did not work. (Removed Perle IO LAN and made the CDR connection to the CAS IP through the company LAN).
> Residual 01B SCC failure due to PPN to PN change out of 01A,(replaced SCC 01b).

And I still can't get any one from Avaya to tell me how to expand the Enhanced Abbreviated Dial to a 5 digit Enhanced AD dial as it says in the System Capacities Table.

KG

P.S.

If you do select S8700, ensure you go with the High Reliability option.

A Duplexed-Reliability configuration which is the most basic option, e.g. 2 Linux servers (PBX system processor), 1 Cajun Ethernet switch, and 1 IPSI circuit pack. With this configuration a single point of failure exists in the control network.

In the S8700, the IPSI provides transport of control messages over IP via the IPSI to the Cajun switch, then on to the active Linux server and vise versa, (a.k.a. the control network that connects your gateways to the system processor). The IPSI is the key element to the interfacing of the gateways (PBX cabinets), to the active Linux server via the Cajun switch and provides control network signaling over the LAN. In addition, the IPSI circuit pack provides tone generation, tone detection, global call classification, as well as Stratum-4 type clock generation.

A High-Reliability Configuration. The High-Reliability Configuration option builds on the Duplex-Reliability option. The High-Reliability duplicates components so that no single point of failure exists in the control network. Its configuration contains 2 Linux servers, 2 Cajun Ethernet switches, and 2 IPSI circuit packs.

In laymen’s terms, in a Duplexed-Reliability config, if the IPSI were to fail, the PBX would be out of service, (kind of like removing the head from the body). With the High Reliability configuration, if one of the IPSI’s were to fail, there would be a second that would kick in and the PBX would stay in operation.

We upgraded to the s8700 platform last year from a G3SI V9 with no hickups Avaya did the upgrade and the only issue was one non service affecting alarm because of a missing cable that goes between one of the ipsy boards and a test board, in one of our cariers. We have 2 24/7 call centers and routed calls to the alternet site while doing the upgrade, It took about 1 hour for the system to be back in service. After that we spent some time doing tests before rerouting trafic back to the new switch and some time trying to figure out what the alarm was. We got the cable the next week and since have not had any major issues. Before the upgrade we sent Avaya a copy of our translations and the new s8700 came with them installed. We did have to get rid of our old announcement cards. This was the only pice of hardware that would not work with the s8700. Today we have one location with an s8700 and the second location with a G3SI V11. Avaya told us we might have problems with our CTI server as it had an old version of the Centre Vu Telephony software however it also worked fine off the 8700 without having to be upgraded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back