Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrade to Exchange 2000 from 5.5 - licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellerw

MIS
Mar 14, 2003
GB
Hi,

If I am upgrading an Exchange server from 5.5 to 2000, do i need to buy extra licenses? or are they covered by the existing ones?

Thanks
Conner.

Hi,

If you have Software Assurance (SA) for your Exchange 5.5 installation you do not need a new one, since you are entitled to use the lastest version of Exchange.

If you dont have SA you need to buy a new server license and client access licenses (CAL's).

Depending on how many users you have and if you have a Microsoft License agreement, the way you have to buy licenses are quite different.

Also be aware that Exchange 2003 is coming soon (mid 2003), so if you go out and buy Exchange 2000, check the rules for an upgrade.

Best regards,

thanks, I dont have an SA here.

At what point in the Exchange 5.5 to 2000 upgrade should I install the new user licenses?

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back