Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade to C6O issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

shogaxx

Vendor
Jul 26, 2009
NZ
Hi just wondering if anyone else has had any issues upgrading to C6O?

We just upgraded all of our 1120e and 1140e ip phones from C3C to C6O and found that at some sites the IP phones did not pick up LLDP vlan info from the switches after the upgrade, could not reach our Voice DHCP server.

Via the local diagnostics the phone showed as having a data scope ip address, and in the arp tables each phone`s mac address was showing two ip addresses. In the network trace the phone seemed to be acknowledging the data DHCP response and not the voice dhcp. It was like 802.1q was not functioning correctly. The voice DHCP logs did not show any record of a request from these phones.

This was resolved by turning off DHCP on the phones, manually assigning an IP address, rebooting them, and then putting them all back to Auto. On the next reboot they functioned normally.

All of the switches and routers at these sites are configured the same as other sites where there were no issues with the upgrade.

Unfortunately we are not sure how the phones were configured before the upgrade, except to say they were all functioning correctly. Most probably Full DHCP with LLDP or manual vlan input.

Any ideas to the cause of this? Do you think there may be something strange in data dhcp scopes? I have tried to replicate the issue in the lab but still not able to come up with anything.

I also just ran across the exact same thing. We tried everything and finally had the network admin rebuild the DHCP scope and so far it works as it should.

I tried deleting the scope on our voice dhcp server, but as I dont have access to the Desktop / Data scope I havent been able to confirm the contents of these (I have requested this today).

Found the cause, when the lldp entry ages, the ip phone and the cisco stop communicating correctly and doesnt keep its lldp vlan info alive. If there are any reboots of the phone, it tries lldp but then drops in dhcp vlan discovery.

CSCsq25652 Bug Details
LLDP entries not displayed on member switches with port-security enable

Symptom:
LLDP (Link Layer Discovery Protocol) entries timed out and were not displayed anymore for the member switch interfaces

Conditions:

This problem was seen when port security was configured under the interfaces

Workaround:
Disable port security on the interfaces

Status Fixed
(Verified)Severity 3 - moderate

Product
Cisco IOS software

Technology

1st Found-In
12.2(44)SE2

Affected: