Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrade to 9.x and need newer phone manager software

Status
Not open for further replies.

seapro220

MIS
Feb 13, 2004
US
Hello all -

We just upgraded our system from 5.x to 9.1. about time huh?
We used to have the phone manager lite program running and it was utilized by a few users however since implementing the newer system the phone manager doesn't work. i'm unsure if it is due to some type of newer/needed dialer program, or just the phone manager software needs to be updated.
i have the 'admin 9.1.5' CD but am having trouble locating 'just' the manager software. As i didn't do the actual hardware/software install for the system, i'm unsure where it might be. I dont have any type of IPOSS support yet (looking into that currently) so i dont know if i just 'kick off the setup' program and run it - that the software will be in there - that i can select later - of if it's somewhere else I need to download.

thanks in advance ..

mark

You could use web management. Just put the IP of the system in your browser. Select Web Management. From there you can do most of the user type programming.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

Phone Manager isn't supported anymore.

A replacement from Avaya would be OneX Portal with Outlook plug-in and/or call assistant (requires preferred edition, user licenses and a lot of time and server resources) or use TAPI.

I'd seen this before - but it didn't give me the 'phone manager lite' software that the end users need, or want - which is what i'm actually looking for.

@budybird
I think you meant WebSelfAdministration. But you can only change some of your personal settings but you can't dial.

Phone Manager does not work on and beyond version 9.1, it is obsolete.
If you want a subsitute then consider One-X Portal and buy some licenses and setup a One-X Portal server or buy a UCM card.
Either way you'll have to spend addional money to get what you had for free, also don't forget to look at the 3th party alternatives, there are some.
We use UC+ which has emerged from the Panasonic platform into the real world and there are others coming from different platforms like Siemens and Alcatel.
They basically add CTI to the system offering presence information, click to dial, Outlook connections, CRM connections and more like that.
Each one has its strength and limitations, get informed and pick the best suiting package for you.
If cost is a problem I would advise you to downgrade to 8.1 which has full support on PhoneManager but not the nifty new features of 9.1.

I missed that it was phone manager not manager manager. The web management for the system has improved quite a bit in the 9.1.X release.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

I just downgraded a brand new installation from 9.1 to 9.0 so that they could still keep using their Phone Manager Lite program. One-X is a better alternative, but not free. If you do the downgrade, beware that the lines will get hosed in the process, and you will need to delete them, push the configuration into the box, let it reboot and rebuild the line programming.

thanks all for the info. a couple of other questions ..

1. how many you have the IPOSS support ...and how's their response? As we've had the Avaya system for a while, we have most of the 'kinks' worked out - but know that there are still some strange things in play. like..tone for instance. we used to have 'tone' whenever we hit "9" for an outside line, and now we only have dead-air.
2. I don't know how quickly that Avaya updates their systems, and since we don't really "utilize" all the features, i wonder if a "1-time" support type of call to handle individual items might be a better solution.

on another note - never having experienced IP phones, this has been a little bit of a curve to learn. we purchased a couple of Polycom 331 phones in addition to a couple of 9608 units. is it just me, or does the Polycom phones seem easier and more 'feature rich' than the 9608 phones.

M

1, call a reseller and let them solve the "tone" issue, a ten minutes visit should solve that or even remote and this kind of things are not covered under a IPOSS contract
2, Avaya claims to have bug fixes every quarter and feature updates once a year. A feature upgrade is licensed that need to be bought unless you have a IPOSS contract whith free uppdates.

3, Polycom phones are SIP phones which are single line phones and act as analog stations, Avaya phones are system phones. The Polycom seems to be more feature rich I can assure you tha Avaya Phones are far more superior to the Polycom phones as it comes to audio quality, reliability, ease of use and features.

TTT I did not think that Phne manager was supported in V9.0 either (although it has been for=und to work)

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

thanks for the info - intigrant.

as far as a 'reseler' fixing the tone issue. they were the ones that installed the system and told me 'thats just the way it is now. alot of bunk if you ask me.

it might be true that the Avaya are more 'superior' to a 'sip' phone, but i haven't that to be true - at least not yet. i have both working at a remote site, and have found these few features..to counter the costs of a Avaya phone.

1. Polycom 331 - dual line set. this has enabled me to have '2' lines on the same phone, and also 2 'extensions' - instead of a single line. not possible on the native Avaya phone.
2. phone quality - haven't noticed any difference between the 2 phones.
3. weather,stock,etc tickers are native w/o serious programming for the end users - native. customizable additional apps also. no charge for those either.
4. customizable dialing plans for users. this allows a 'service rep' to not have the ability to dial 'ld' calls, but only local ones.

like i said - i'm just getting into this and these features might be available as i learn more.

1. Polycom 331 - dual line set. this has enabled me to have '2' lines on the same phone, and also 2 'extensions' - instead of a single line. not possible on the native Avaya phone.
The Avaya Phone can have upto eight "lines" on the phone for only one user/number, a conference call with upto 63 users, a company telephone book with all internal users and a lot more the Polycom doesn't have.
2. phone quality - haven't noticed any difference between the 2 phones.
Maybe, try a handsfree conference call and there IS a difference.
3. weather,stock,etc tickers are native w/o serious programming for the end users - native. customizable additional apps also. no charge for those either.
Useless for most customers, any customer nowadays have a call phone or a PC with all that info, a additional source of info is overkill.
4. customizable dialing plans for users. this allows a 'service rep' to not have the ability to dial 'ld' calls, but only local ones.
Can be centralized managed within IP Office with far more options as you can do with the Polycom dial plans.
Can you set a outgoing number send per dialled number on the Polycom, I don't think so, for a Avaya phone it is no problem and there are more options build in like ARS, using the best line for a destination and a lot more.

Dial tone after dialing access code (9)
as far as a 'reseler' fixing the tone issue. they were the ones that installed the system and told me 'thats just the way it is now. alot of bunk if you ask me
Find a better installer/maintainer.

1 why bother with 9 to access a line it is unnecessary (unless you are in the US or using sip then it can help overocme the limitations of infirior netwoks that dont support overlap dialing)

2. A simple search in the manager help file for "Secondary Dial Tone" shows there is a tick box on the ARS form which is intended for this purpose. never used it myself for the above reasson but our ammeican cousins use it all the time (or they did).

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back