Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade to 6.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jouster

Programmer
Dec 4, 2000
US
I have ver. 5.5 and was wanting to get some input from people who have upgraded to 6.0 Was just wondering if it was worth upgrading. Seemed like there wasn't alot of difference between 5.0 and 5.5.

Thanks!

My opinion is YES, by all means, 6.0 is a solid upgrade.

The bad news is that with it's somewhat schizophrenic focus on vector vs. raster worlds, the readjustment to the new methodology for applying filters and effects can be tough to get down.

If you like a challenge and can handle the fact that none of the online learning or the manual/guides is really going to help you sort it all out, GO FOR IT!

You'll like it, after you stop hating it.

I agree...

<rant>
...but I hate when they move sooo many things around between revisions. The recently open files are not listed like they were in 5.5. Small things like that appear in this version. I find myself jumping back to 5.5 to do quicky changes. I hate that, did I mention that ;)
</rant>

But the added functionality for text adding/editing alone is worth the upgrade. » » » » » »
Mike Barone
FREE and Pro CGI/Perl Scripts

FREE Scripts

Thanks for the info, I guess I'm still a little weary, but I might just take the chance and upgrade.

Stop! It might be worth waiting for a dot release. There have been various issues with the photoshop 6 release - particularly working on NT or high end work stations. If you can hold off for a while you will get a more solid product (later release). Of course most people haven't really had these problems, but the people who have seem to think they are serious enough. There was another thread on the same topic recently
thread229-51626
PS 6 is a great product but a little buggy right now. Even if you do upgrade keep a copy of 5.5 on hand if you rely on Photoshop for work. But it's so shiny and new!!!

The only problem I found was in setting up my Scratch disks. I eventually had to buy a new HD anyway, but I found that with the second HD installed, PS6 functioned a hell of a lot better. Very Very rarely crashes now and it seems to handle Print quality images much better.

What is the price for upgrading to Photoshop version 6.0 to vesion 5.0-LE (which I received with my Pagemaker 6.5 Deluxe)? Are there any special deals out there?

Photoshop 6 is definately worth the upgrade. Yes, it's set up differently but if you take the time to read the manual and become familiarized with the changes, it can do a lot more than the previous version.

In regards to the rasterizing issue, again, read up on it. I find most people who have trouble with it don't take the time to read the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back