Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade to 3.1.2 with ESS's

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjblanch

Programmer
Jan 16, 2003
AU
Hi All,

We are looking at upgrading from CM3.0 to CM3.1.2 and have been informed that there is an issue with ESS's and network regions.

Can anyone let us know if they have seen this issue when upgrading?

Regards

That's a pretty broad statement. What issue(s)have you been informed of? Let us know.

RJP

That is our concern - Avaya have come back to us stating that there have been issues with having ESS and when the upgrade happens, there is a concern with these being in a different network region.

If I could find out what changes occur when the upgrade happens - it would be appreciated as then we can get ready for the install.

Regards.

I'm guessing it has to do with deploying IPSI/G650 over WAN. The occassional hiccups that happen with Wan traffic can cause headaches. We've got an ESS with G650 in our NYC office and a S8500 with G650 in our Boston office tied over a private WAN link. We had to adjust our kill timer to 7 minutes due to problems with the ESS taking control of the NYC IPSI after wan connectivity issues....

Well there are probably a half dozen "known issues" with ESS's that were resolved going from CM3.0 to CM3.1. As far as IPSI over WAN, that is an engineering issue not CM release issue.

SJ,
Are you guys using CNA with Adaptive Patch Control? If not, then you're asking for trouble. Do not be surprised if Avaya's official stance whenever you remote control IPSI's requires CNA. There is no other way, today, for us to combat convergence time, brownouts, and blackouts on the network.

Let us know.

RJP

You speak of Control Network A? I've never heard of Adaptive Patch Control...

Our site was our "beta". We have everything on the LAN (I don't like it, but it was setup by another engineer). I've started using control networks with any possible systems for clients, but I'm struggling to figure out how to make a control network in Boston communicate over a WAN to a control network in NYC. I'm just starting to get into the networking end of things, so please pardon my ignorance there. Would I setup a route on the S8500 in both sites for any control network traffic?

I'm interested in learning how to do this (and how others do it). We've got a couple of clients with ESS in the field at DR sites and would like to avoid issues, never mind have them setup proper...

CNA= Converged Network Analyzer.

Sorry I didn't specify.

I will include specifics on how you should desing your "Control Networks" for ESS.

In the meantime, do a little research on CNA, you will like it.

RJP

The only issue I see with CNA is that it really appears to be for a site with multiple circuits between sites (or perhaps one using a VPN backup to a private pipe).

SJF

To bring it back to the initial subject of the upgrade, obviously there are issues around with the upgrade. Is there anywhere that they are documented or is it "known" that there are issues and we just accept it?

RJBlanch,

I personally have been a part of 20 successful upgrades to CM3.1.2. Out of the 20 upgrades, five instances involved ESS's along with Primary servers being upgraded. Again, not sure which "known issues" you are referring to. Who told you about the issues? Was it Avaya? A BP? Anyone that can actually give you an understanding of what they "think" the issues are? Please advise.

Thanks.

RJP

The most important issue than you have with NETWORK Region, is not just for ESS but also LSP.
Until you have update your main server, if you have an outgage, your LSP and ESS are going to use the NR 1 so each time you have to change the NR.
Another solution consist of disable all save tr on your ess and lsp from main server like this they'll go to keep the correct region and no issue in this case.
When your upgrade will be finish, you have to reactivate your translation for your LSP and ESS

Telecom Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back