Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade to 3.0.2 from 3.0.1 error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maceie

Technical User
Jan 12, 2004
GB
I am running ePO 3.0.1 and am trying to upgrade to 3.0.2, but almost immediatley, I get the following error

Unexpected System Error
Error API: DBInit.exe
Troubleshooting code: 106

There are quite a few suggestions to this problem, both on here and NAI support, but none of them work for me.

I'm using a MSDE database and I've confirmed that the services are using the local system account and i've also tried working locally and remotely.
I've stopped all (I think) relevant services from running and used taskmanager to stop the UpdaterUI.exe task as suggested in NAI34762.

The other solutions seem to be relating to an installation of ePO rather than an upgrade.

The only think I've found that I haven't tried is to backup the DB and remove ePO 3.0.1 and do a fresh install of 3.0.2 and restore the DB, which I don't want to do as I have no idea if the database stores all the information to make the thing work as it does now.

If I do remove ePO and re-install 3.0.2 as new, what would happen if I restore the DB?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you remove epo 3.0.1 you would have to reinstall 3.0.1 then upgrade to 3.0.2 because 3.0.2 is just an upgrade, not a full install. To do this I would suggest exporting your policies and backing up your database. This would cover all your settings, policies, users, etc. I was having a miriad of problems with 3.0.1 and the other day I removed it and reinstalled everything and upgraded to 3.0.2, restored everything and the only problem I am having is with some clients getting them to upgrade to the new version of the agent, which I have contributed to a client problem not a server problem.

I just received an advisory from NAI advising to NOT install SP2 for ePO 3 until further notice. There has been a 'reported issue' and they are working feverishly to rectify the problem.

So to repeat - if you haven't installed SP2 yet - DON'T!

Finally procrastination pays off.

Thanks for the info.

Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back