Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade the DLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malchik

Programmer
Dec 8, 2001
CA
Hi,

I know it is probably possible, but I don't know how. I created a DLL to take care of the security of my applications. All I have to do is to put in reference my 'Login.dll' in any VB project and call my login's functions.

If i make a change in the source code of the login.dll and recompile it. My applications will give me the 'can't create object' error. I have to recompile my application as well. Is there a way to set the VB application to refresh the references automaticaly without having to recompile?

Thanks for your help,
by the way i'm using VB6 sp5

Mal'chik [bigglasses]

Check out binary compatibility mode in help.

"I think we're all Bozos on this bus!" - Firesign Theatre [jester]

When you right click on your Project Name, and select properties, one of the tabs has a compatibilities option group. There is No Compatibility, Project Compatibility, and Binary Compatibility. These options control among other things, when new class guids are created for your objects. ie, No Compatibility generates new guids each time you compile, which would mean you would need to re-register the dll in the windows registery. When you refresh the references in VB, it actualy updates the windows registery to point to the new guids for you. Check these settings, you will probabably find that you are set to No Compatibility - change it to Binary Compatibility.

Brett Birkett B.Comp
Systems Analyst
brettbirkett@yahoo.com.au

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back