Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade STK 9730 eith SDLT drive(s) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bud001

Technical User
Jun 29, 2005
NL
Hi,

I own a STK-9730 with HVD drives for personal use.

My storage needs are growing so I want to know if it is possible to upgrade the (or just one) DLT7000 to a SDLT drive of any capacity.
I don't think the robot arm will have any problems (DLTIV are physicly the same to SDLT), but not sure if the main logic from the controller will coop with either the capacity or controlling the drive.

As this lib is used at home you will understand that my budget does not like to buy a new lib, ore make use of the STK upgrade program. I'm just thinking of buying myself a second hand SDLT drive to replace the DLT7000.

I really don't know the firmware that's loaded on the lib right know, but if needed I can check for this tommorow.

TIA

Hi Bud001,
I don't think STK wrote code to support SDLT for the 9730.
You would need a 9738 or L20 library.
The 9730 might run DLT8000 drives...

OK DLT8000 brings me some more storage.

But wat does the controler control more then the robot ?

What kind of communication takes place between the drive and the controller ? is this just load / unload / idle / busy / read / clean request commands ? Or is there much more to it ?

I don't have a SDLT drive here, or else I would just try it.

The drives themselves are also connected to the server whith the backup software, what commands are being send from the backup software then ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back