Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade SQL 2005 Std to SQL 2005 Ent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgwisby

Technical User
Apr 13, 2005
US
I set up a SQL server with SQL 2005 Standard and a SQL Report Server pointing back to the SQL 2005 Standard server. Now the powers that be, want to upgrade the SQL 2005 Standard Edition to SQL 2005 Enterprise Edition. Can someone provide me with details on this upgrade and any problems that might arise, not only with the upgrade but also with the Report Server that is already setup and configured? I am primarily a server/network admin and not particularly versed in SQL administration.
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

DW

I do not beleive you are going to run into any major issues at all.

Thanks

J. Kusch

Doing the upgrade shouldn't be a problem.

Run the installer with the /SKUUPGRADE switch to make the change. After you are done reapply the service pack and hotfix that you are currently running.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Thanks, JK and MD, I appreciate your input.

I work on a remote campus and reveive the SQL software via download from our main campus, in the following form:

SW CD SQL Svr Enterprise Edtn 2005 W32 English #1 32 bit MLF.exe
SW CD SQL Svr Enterprise Edtn 2005 W32 English #2 32 bit MLF.exe

I burnt these to executables to CD.

Just to clarify, I can run these executables from the CD via a command prompt with the SKUUPGRADE switch on the SQL Standard version and will end up with an Enterprise Edition of SQL installed with all my DB's intact?

Thanks
DW

You need to expand these files into the actual install media. Those are simply the CDs wrapped into a large file. After you expand the data from these disks run setup.exe /SKUUPGRADE.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back