Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrade solaris from 2.6 to 2.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2001
US
I have Veritas Volume Manager 3.1.1 installed and I want to upgrade Solaris 2.6 to solaris 2.7 without upgrade the VM. Has anyone done this before? What are steps to consider when upgrading?

If you need to upgrade Solaris in order to run VxVM 3.1.x, you use the upgrade_start and upgrade_finish scripts, available on the VxVM CD-ROM, to preserve your VolumeManager configuration information while you upgrade the operating system.

When upgrading Solaris, it is recommended that you:

- Remove all mirrors of rootdisk manually
- Run the upgarde_start script
- Run vxunroot manually

The upgrade_finish script reset the encapsulated root. No reboot is needed, unless you upgrade VRTSvmsa to version 3.1.x.

The procedure involves the following sequence of step:

1. Remove mirros and ensure that you can still access a second logical disk in rootdg.

2. Run upgrade_start

3. Run vxunroot

4. Reboot

5. Upgrade the operating system

6. Run upgrade_finish, No reboot is required, unless you upgraded VRTSvmsa or SUNWvxvm to version 3.1.x

regards ph

How about if my os disks are not encapsulated? Would I still use the above scripts? I also have Veritas Filesystem 3.4 installed too. I am getting conflicting answers from different sources telling me that I have to deinstall Veritas Filesystem 3.4 prior to upgrade of Solaris OS and then reinstall Veritas Filesystem 3.4.

Has anyone done this before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back