Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade - Server 2000 on a Windows NT, going to upgrade to Windows 200

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLBill

MIS
May 29, 2001
US
I am trying to decide the best method to use in creating a new database. I currently have a Windows NT machine and in the near future will be upgrading to Windows 2000. Are there any issues/problems with loading SQL Server 2000 on the NT machine and then later upgrading to Windows 2000? Will I lose any data from my database? Or should I go to SQL Server 7.0 for now and upgrade to Server 2000 after I upgrade my computer?

This is just a common practice
When you upgrade any machine its wise to backup the data then upgrade.

Make sure the Old components on the on the Windows 2000 Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)
With the price of PC's and Servers so cheap today I would just go get a new one. It's is going to be a PIII 800 at least. Memory is dirt cheap, and so a SCSI drives
DougP, MCP

Visit my WEB site to see how Bar-codes can help you be more productive

Memory, SCSI, etc isn't a concern (I'm have an option of a DELL 2450 if I want it). I'm testing using a stand-alone right now (DELL GX110). I need to know if there are issues with upgrading the machine with a new OS (Windows NT 4.0 to Windows NT 2000). Will I lose data from my SQL Server database if I am using SQL Server 2000 right now on a NT 4.0 machine and I upgrade the machine OS to NT 2000? Again, I'm not concerned with the hardware, I need to know if upgrading the software causes a problem with the SQL database.

No! You will not lose data on the upgrade. At least there is no reason to believe you will lose any data. The upgrade to Windows 2000 should not modify the SQL files. Terry Broadbent
Please review faq183-874.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J Boorstin

SQL 2000 will run without problems on NT 4.0 SP6a. I have it in production on a few servers that I can't upgrade to Windows 2000. In the future upgrading the nt box with sql 2000 won't cause a problem either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back