Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade/reinstallation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexExpat

MIS
Jun 14, 2002
US
I had an NT4 server (BDC) running BackupExec 8.6. When I tried to upgrade it to Windows 2000, the server crashed and I wound up blowing it away and installing Windows 2000 from scratch in order to restore DC services for that subnet. I am now planning to put BackupExec 9.0 on this server.

I still have a copy of all the files and subfolders that were under the C:\PROGRAM FILES\VERITAS folder. When I install BackupExec 9.0, can I import all the configuration information that was in BackupExec 8.x so that I do not have to recreate the jobs, media sets, catalogs, and other information? If so, how would I do that? Would I simply copy the folder structure I have backed up to the PROGRAM FILES folder of my new C: drive so that BE would see those files in their default location? Or do I need to install BE and then perform some sort of import function?

Or should I reinstall 8.6 first?

Thank you very much for your help with this.

Is you BE 9.0 an UPGRADE version or a NEW version? If it's an upgrade version, which I suspect it is, then I believe that you MUST install 8.6 first. Most, if not all, UPGRADE verions of software first check to see if a previous version is installed. This keeps people from buying the less expensive UPGRADE version instead of a new version.

-SQLBill

Guys,

Backup Exec 8.6 uses a database pvl.mdb. Version 9.0 uses a SQL MSDE database. There is no way to simply copy over the database, installing 9.0 on top of 8.6 (upgrade) is the only way to bring over the jobs and media set information.

You could copy the catalogs folder over and just recreate the jobs and media sets if you want to put on 9.0 fresh.

Also the 9.0 software is the full version which can be used to upgrade. There are no "upgrade versions" seperate to a full version. The only difference there would be pricing if you already own a copy of 8.6 and went to purchase 9.0

Bobafet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back