Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade PIX software via PDM possible? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

larsin

MIS
Mar 18, 2003
US
We have multiple branch locations and need to upgrade the firmware. It is a pain to have the end users disconnect the firewall, hook it up to a pc, run tftp server etc...to upgrade.

I don't see an option in the PDM to upgrade firmware. Any other options to remotely upgrade the bin file?

Regards,

Larry

Hi,

There is no need to disconnect the PIX. Simply open up a Hyper Terminal session to it with an internal PC which also has the TFTP server running on it.

Once in enable mode do the following:

1. Backup the config to the TFTP server as a backup
2. Type "Copy TFTP Flash"
3. Enter the IP address of the TFTP server
4. Enter the name of the file "PIX633.bin"
5. Responde YES to the prompt to procede
6. Reload
7. Repeat steps for PDM "Copy TFTP Flash:pDM"
8. Reboot.

If you want to do it yourself, remotely control the PC.

Lou

Ooops sorry, I just realized you would need a console cable and that's what you were referring to about having to diconnect.

You don't have a laptop that you could sned around?

No, unfortunately, no laptop. You would think that all the other things you can do through the PDM, it would upgrade software. Oh well, maybe in the next version.

why not just use telnet? just ensure you've enabled telnet from your workstation and follow lou's instructions in the previous post.

Lou0686

Once you back up both Flash and PDM to a TFTP server how do you upgrade to the latest version of PDM through telnet?
Will may comfig stay the same once I upgrade to the newer code?

Hi Quick,

It should be the same steps as I mentioned above as long as the PIX can communicate with the TFTP server.

By the way, you are not backing up the PDM, you are only backing up the config. The config will not change.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back