Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrade path to R12.0 for IP500V2 or IP500V2A 1

Westi

Programmer
May 14, 2007
Ontario
I am trying to find the information but have no luck with the search in support or the Tech Bulletin for R12.0
In all previous versions they had a simple chart for the upgrade but here they only care about Linux upgrades in any darn platform known to Avaya

Does anyone have a link to the upgrade path that I must have missed going through?

Yes this will be the first R12.0 I am doing because I don't like being the guinea pig for new releases but there is nothing new besides the Linux OS and there is no rampant complaining here on TT so I will try it.

Thanks in advance for any information

The only upgrade path I have seen is for Linux. For the IP500 you should be able to upgrade it from anything on version 11.1. You can play it safe and make sure you are on the latest release of version 11 and then upgrade to 12.

thanks Swiney52
I have a big customer (server, backup server and 12 remote sites with IP500V2's) on 11.0.4.x and they want to go R12 so if I have to go 11.1 first then I will tell the customer to buy a Mitel or something (joking) because a new system will be about the price tag of the upgrade licenses and my labour. I charge extra for gray hairs that sprout in during upgrades.

you should take a migration license file from the migration tool in Manager app and send it to Avaya to migrate your license from R11 to R12 and when they send you the new license file you will be able to upgarde the IPO 500V2 to R12 by downloading the AdminCD App of R12 ( Manager ) from the support site then take a backup from the configuration from Manager App then you should recreate the SD card from the Manager app and the last step upload the backup file and send it to the live system.

Thanks M_A
I know the procedure but what is the lowest release that I can go to R12.0 from
Avaya had over the last 21 years that I work with the IP Office so many problems when not upgraded correctly that I do not want to start any issues for a customer by not following the correct upgrade path.

Can I go from 10.0 or 10.1 or 11.0 directly to 12.0 or does it have to be 11.1 and if so which 11.1 version, is it 11.1.1 or 11.1.2 or does it have to be 11.1.3 ?

THIS is the information that seems to be hidden away in the documentation so well that I cannot find it.

Previous releases always had this upgrade path documented in the tech bulletin that announced the release but this one only gets you information for the Linux portions in any virtual flavour.
Maybe it means that the 12.0 is nothing but the 11.1 only the Linux OS has changed and spending money on it is really great for Avaya but doesn't give you anything in return, no new features but the security audits that run in many companies are going to be happy.

the steps you mentioned is for Major Linux upgrade not Major control units upgrade.
there is only one way for upgrading the IPO 500v2 / V2A as a major upgrade.
this is by
1- take a backup from the configuration from Manager App.
2- download the R12 Manager App and install it.
3- shutdown the system and remove the SD Card from the Control unit.
4- attach the SD Card to your PC.
5- open the Manager app and from Advanced >> recreate SD Card >> select your SD Card from the local machine.
6- start the recreation process and wait until all the files copy and the message " recreation successful " poped out.
7- remove the SD card from your PC and attach it to the Control Unit IPO 500.
8- wait until the C U loading the new firmware and all leds are green again.
9- if some thing in the config have error - open the offline backup file and send it to the IPO live system to restore the backup.

Last edited:
Thanks M_A
I know the procedure but what is the lowest release that I can go to R12.0 from
Avaya had over the last 21 years that I work with the IP Office so many problems when not upgraded correctly that I do not want to start any issues for a customer by not following the correct upgrade path.

Can I go from 10.0 or 10.1 or 11.0 directly to 12.0 or does it have to be 11.1 and if so which 11.1 version, is it 11.1.1 or 11.1.2 or does it have to be 11.1.3 ?

THIS is the information that seems to be hidden away in the documentation so well that I cannot find it.

Previous releases always had this upgrade path documented in the tech bulletin that announced the release but this one only gets you information for the Linux portions in any virtual flavour.
Maybe it means that the 12.0 is nothing but the 11.1 only the Linux OS has changed and spending money on it is really great for Avaya but doesn't give you anything in return, no new features but the security audits that run in many companies are going to be happy.
for major upgrades from 11 to 12 is have to be R 11.1.3.1 as a minimum or R 11.1.3.2 but this is for Linux Upgrades.

To be safe, I would take the IP500V2 to the latest release of R11.1 following any recommendations in the R11 release notes for the version you are starting from. Once on R11.1 then go to R12.

There are no cost implications other than an upgrade licence for R12. You will not be running on R11.1, only "staging" through it.

Load the upgrade licences before starting the upgrade.

The only upgrade reference I can find is in the R12 IP500V2 Installation PDF on P.177:

Attachments

• clip.png
    clip.png
    399.5 KB · Views: 15
Thanks guys
I was afraid that you are saying to upgrade to latest 11.1.3 before going to 12

that means a lot of wasted time if I am on R11.0 just to get to 12 which means hours of useless work.

For an upgrade from 11.0 to 12 with a virtual server on VmWare it might be easier to do a full backup then install a new R12 server and upload the backup again then upgrading all the IP500 gateways.

I have upgraded 10.1, 11.0, and 11.1 500V2's straight to R12 with no issues. I've tried the Linux upgrade procedure twice on an application server, and both times not all data was restored. I've backed up and restored VM Pro databases successfully from 11.0 and 11.1 systems, on newly installed 12 instances. That's the only method I use now.

For IP500 V2 there really haven't been any upgrade pre-steps required for a long time - except for the switch from ADI to PLDS licensing. My IP500 V2 test rigs have regularly jumped between 11.x and 12.x releases without concern (downgrades and upgrades).

I have upgraded from 9.0 and 9.1 directly to 12 with no issues, I used both the File/Advanced/Upgrade and SD recreate methods. I would expect it is the same requirement as listed below which is due to the boot loader limitation.

In all cases, always backup all application data to a separate location before upgrading. • Check the PCS Level of the IP500V2 Control Unit. For PCS 14 and earlier, the boot loader may need to be upgraded to version 1.33 or higher.

If the system is running 8.1 (65) or higher, 9.0, or 9.1, the boot loader has already been upgraded and it does not need repeating.

The boot loader version can be checked on the systems details output when System Monitor connects

The boot loader can be upgraded by installing either Release 8.1 (65) (or higher) or any IP Office Release 9.0, before upgrading to Release 11.0. If this has already been done, it does not need repeating.

Thanks CalgaryJeff

I am relieved that you have first hand experience

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back