Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade OS, not Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

racer514

Technical User
Apr 16, 2001
US
Any hints, ideas, thoughts, warnings, etc. on ugrading NT4.0 with Exchange 5.5 to Win2K and still keeping Exchange 5.5???
I'll take any input?

I did it several months ago and it went fairly smoothly. As I recall, beware of Exchange being on an domain controller, MS has a few Q-articles on the topic. Backup, backup, and then backup. Then test the backups as best you can. Make sure Exchange and NT4 are fully service-packed. Backup again. Finally, run the NT4-to-Win2k upgrade.
-Steve

You can do it on a DC, leave out AD for the moment cos that can be a nightmare. Remember to keep the same org, site and server name if it is a new machine.

If you can, ghost the server and test it that way - not everyone can though. Upgrade the ghost...

If not, use Steve's method, but don't forget to backup the data :) Recommend SP4 before and after the 2000 upgrade.

and absolutely dont put Win2k SP2 on or else your stores will not start. one or two exchange DLLs are not compatible with SP2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back